Logo

Merc tach question

haventaclue

Outstanding Contributor
Two threads in one day:D:D. I have one of these, http://www.anchormarineinc.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=MRC#/Mercury_Marine/Instruments-Gauges_and_Components_OB_MISC._(1985_AND_BELOW)_(ACCESSORIES)/TACHOMETER_ASSEMBLY_(HEAVY_DUTY)/09-019-OBACCE-230/QSOBACCE15022A .This was easier than taking pics of my own.
When I installed it, 3500RPM's was the best it would show. I have used a modern teleflex with an adjustable/calibrating pole and reached 5200RPM's.
Instructions state,white to white on lamp,ground to + pole,brown(sig) to neg.No adjustment/calibrating switch and part # for both 4 and 6 cyls the same.
I have tried both,brown to brown terminal on switchbox and to yellow/red on rectifier and still only 3500RPM's. I know there is a module that is fitted, to what I always believed was the older points distributor to make these work correctly.Do I need the module on my pointless,1969 distributor model Merc800/80HP 4cyl?
Did I but a dud or am I missing something? Not beyond the realms of possibility.:D
All help appreciated. Thank you.

Back