Logo

Multiple outboard ptt switch

Aquamann

Have installed two new BF 250’s and connected to the appropriate jacks on the two engine PTT switch but both outboards respond together to the #1 switch just as if they were being controlled by the thumb toggle on the shift/throttle lever. Is this a programming issue?

Have installed two new BF 250’s and connected to the appropriate jacks on the two engine PTT switch but both outboards respond together to the #1 switch just as if they were being controlled by the thumb toggle on the shift/throttle lever. Is this a programming issue?
I don't know the answer but wanted to at least tell you welcome to the forum and let you know that others are reading your post.

Do the outboards respond independently using the remote control switches? Or both together also?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I've never operated a twin outboard boat.

Thank you for the welcome!

Each outboard should respond independently to each toggle (pt or stbd) on the dual power trim/tilt switch. There are 4 wires that run back to the control box And I am using #1 as port and #2 as starboard (the other two would accommodate a 4 engine setup). However only the port gets response and it actuates both engines at the same time in the identical way the thumb toggle on the left control arm operates the trim/tilt. The only independent control I presently have is with the two rocker switches on the sides of both outboard housings that are wired directly to the hydraulic motors.

Yours is not a dumb question. This is a little confusing. My issue probably relates to programming of these iST models. Unfortunately I am located in the heartland where HONDA dealers are few and far between. The dealer from whom these units were purchased has now relinquished their dealer status. I am stuck at the end of a total boat rebuild and repower project without Dr H to finish my project. None of the installation instructions or the shop manual have referred to setup procedures but I have a very strong hunch that without the ability to program I shall be’dead in the water’. Shame HONDA is so unaccommodating in this critical area. Happy to sell you all the componentry but can’t provide you the ability to do basic set-up programming. Goodness we can completely update chartplotters with a cell phone; wouldn’t it be so simple to do likewise with an outboard. After all they do trust us to drive our boats!

Yes, confusing. At least to me.

While I wouldn't expect that sort of set up info to be in the shop manual, I wonder if it can be found elsewhere?

A member recently asked about doing some basic installation hook up and I remembered that Honda has (had?) a separate "Rigging Guide" for doing installations. I'm not saying that's where you'll find what you need but just an idea.

I couldn't find a current Rigging Guide for that guy on the Honda Publications site I use so I'm not sure they still sell them. But there are many of those guides being sold used on ebay. Maybe doing a search there with different wording....like "programming"....might turn up something?

I hope you get some help with a solution.

Good luck.

Back