Logo

new 60hp 4stroke knocking sound

papyson

Outstanding Contributor
i have a new engine..about 4 hours on it...i currently have the boat at home doing a recarpet job...the motor had not been run in about a month so i hooked up a hose and ears and let it idle a bit...the engine sounds like it has a knock in it...is this normal?...i am about 75 miles from the dealer and the boat is in bad shape to trailer that far...hell of a mess with this carpet tear out..

Warranty,,,,,,,, unless of course something in the boat is " loose " and making the noise.------------Listen to the motor with a broomstick on the block and to your ear.------Might help determine where it is coming from.

I have an outboard 60hp like your few months old. Have you tried listen to the engine running withouthood cover?. Mine have a little pump onthe starboard side near the p.p linkages that when it is on it makes a sound like knocking.

will check that out tomorrow jason...thank you for response......how do you like the engine overall?....i am stepping down from a 90hp 2 cycle.....i gave up about 8 mph which i didnt need anyway....do these motors have a fast idle?...my fast idle lever is not even connected to anything evidently...it does nothing...the performance is about what i expected in the few hours i have run it.....with a one man load i finally adjusted the trim where i dont have to trim to come out of the hole....that looked like it was going to be a problem when i first put it in the water....i move quite a bit fishing and didnt want to trim every time i moved... i do notice a different sound in the engine when running at 4400 and then move up to say 4800 but its nothing to worry about i dont think....i havent run it enough to know how much gas i am using as i have a built in gas tank a a flaky fuel gauge.... i bought the merc over the yammy because i liked the dealer better....the commercial fishermen down here are about 50-50 with yammy and merc....reliability is the big factor with me....at the prices of outboards today i dont want to buy another anytime soon....thanks again and i will post when i look at it...

finally got around to running it......fairlly sure it just an intermittent rattle and not internal to motor...did not identify what it is yet but it will wait now til i get back in water and closer to dealer where i bought it...a question now on something else...i hooked up a hose to the motor and didnt use the ears....at idle some water is coming out of the exhaust and is warm...but none come out of the p-hole....is this normal?....

Back