Logo

OPINION WANTED* 1985 Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke

Bbuechler

Hey everyone, I just picked up my first boat for $4000. It came with an 1985 Yamaha 90HP, model 90ETLK. I am really excited as I've heard this is a gutsy little engine. However, being it coming up on 40 years old I want to do some maintenance to ensure it continues to be reliable. One thing to note, I am in Southern Ontario, so to my understanding the motor has only ever been exposed to fresh water.

Here is the information I received when picking it up:
  1. The motor does run, the previous owner quickly fired it up for me when picking it up. However, it did stumble just a tad, the owner said he just hadn't set the choke and it would need to warm up for a bit.
  2. Someone previous to me looking at it had done a compression test, and reported getting 100 psi on all three cylinders. Now this could be false as it was just passed along to me.
Based on my "inspection" these are some things I noticed:
  1. There is a line going to the hydraulic steering unit that is wrapped in an abundance of electrical tape. I did test the steering on land, and its smooth as butter. However, if the line needs replacement I would rather do that than have tape on it.
  2. Overall, the engine is very clean, I did notice quite a bit of grease on the underside of the motor near what looks to be the pivot for steering, I am hoping this is just from regular greasing.
So knowing this information I want to do some deep maintenance on the motor to ensure it keeps firing for years to come. However, I am new to this hobby and wanted some advice on what to do. This is what I am planning on doing so far:
  1. Replace water impeller and gaskets, possibly test for good flow (Not sure how to do this?)
  2. Test oil injection with premix and a graduated cylinder
  3. Change spark plugs
  4. Replace all cracked and rotted hoses
Based on this do any of you recommend doing anything else? Should I get a timing light and check timing, etc. I really don't know how far I need to take this or if I am missing anything. I really appreciate all your guys help and insights!

Where in southern Ontario.-----Redo the compression test.----Timing on these motors does not normally go out of adjustment.----Take starter apart for new brushes.----Test overheat horn.

Where in southern Ontario.-----Redo the compression test.----Timing on these motors does not normally go out of adjustment.----Take starter apart for new brushes.----Test overheat horn.
Greater Toronto Area, the boat is actually originally from the states however it was in Michigan which is also all fresh water. I will definitely add those to my list thank you, your advice is much appreciated!

Back