Logo

Reverse shifting is too stiff--need some help

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
Mercury 115 HP OB 2 cyle SN OT630016

Went out 1st time this year the other day engine starts and runs great, shifts into forward like a hot knife thru butter. Tried to shift into reverse w/one hand and movement is stiff and it sticks/stops before going fully into reverse...starts to grind...use both hands and jerk the shifter and it goes into gear. It takes 10 times the effort to shift into reverse. Is the problem w/the shifter assy., shift rod/cam assy. or in the LU? Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong...shifting into forward the cable moves to the rear? Forward movement has so little resistance but reverse is stiff, very stiff. Not much about the shift cable in the Merc. factory manual...I'll look again.

Engine is a 2003 Merc. I found 1 page in the manual for cable adjustment. I'm going to get a new cable in the morning...any tips on installing a new one? At the throttle/shifter control which cable is which? I'm working by myself and could use as many tips I can get. I saw a YOUTUBE video on how to measure for a cable. How does the controller cover come off? I took a 1987 model controller apart 10 years ago...should be similar. Will I need to remove the controller from the boat side panel? Thanks again.

It's fixed. I found the mounting stud nut on the engine shift arm slide about to come off in about 4 turns. It was loose enough to allow the shift cable to ride up 1/4" on the stud when engaged in reverse and reduce the travel distance of the shift arm. I removed the cable end from the stud to verify the cable was still working properly. The loose nut caused a 1/4" crack in the top part of the plastic shift slide assy where the stud (actually a bolt) protrudes thru but not concerned since the nut is now blue loctited.

Back