Logo

Shift rod

GENEREED

Contributing Member
Installed shift rod to specs in 79 manual for model 150949-1979 v6 150 evinrude motor. No reverse! Checked two manuals and seloc manual was different than an original 79 manual by .64 inch (11.7mm or 1.168cm). Is seloc manual right? I tested shift before putting LU back on and had R N F. I can correct without take LU off again so hoping 79 manual had misprint.

Exactly, we need to know what measurement you used for installation, where you measured, and what tool you used. Is this motor new to you or was it working fine, you performed some service, and now after that work it's not correct?

This old thread shows the shift rod measurements --> OMC Shift Rod Measurement

Thanks for q & a: I set like in dangar video, from top of gear case to hole, in neutral at 21.6 as found in 79 evinrude manual for the 150,175, 200,235 only. Mine is the 150949. The rod was bent that I replaced with new shift rod ordered by model number. It would not go into reverse when I bought it.
By your responses it appears that my 79 manual is wrong at 21.6. Another .64 would also seem to put shift rod at right dimension which equals 22.06” (22 1/16). Looking for confirmation! Thanks again

Installed shift rod to specs in 79 manual for model 150949-1979 v6 150 evinrude motor. No reverse! Checked two manuals and seloc manual was different than an original 79 manual by .64 inch (11.7mm or 1.168cm). Is seloc manual right? I tested shift before putting LU back on and had R N F. I can correct without take LU off again so hoping 79 manual had misprint.
Correction: I must add .46 inch not .64 dah!

Thanks for q & a: I set like in dangar video, from top of gear case to hole, in neutral at 21.6 as found in 79 evinrude manual for the 150,175, 200,235 only. Mine is the 150949. The rod was bent that I replaced with new shift rod ordered by model number. It would not go into reverse when I bought it.
By your responses it appears that my 79 manual is wrong at 21.6. Another .64 would also seem to put shift rod at right dimension which equals 22.06” (22 1/16). Looking for confirmation! Thanks again. .46 not .64 sorry!

I won’t know until tomorrow or thursday but I believe I will have it. I will take two carbs off so I can reach it better. I solved hard starting by adding a choke butterfly to upper carb. It started up and in seconds was idling perfectly. Starter was clean and brushes in good shape. Pistons tops were very good also. I believe I have a good motor. Very fast when I had it on the lake last fall to test before winter set in. Ran great other than hard start but I think that is solved. Manual also said back pressure when Lu is fully in water can cause hard start or contribute to it. Thanks for your advice and anybody else for that matter. I will post when I finish job.

The parts book shows butterfly choke on each carburetor.----It is confusing when you say you had to add that.----Are you sure all the parts are original to a 79 model ?

The parts book shows butterfly choke on each carburetor.----It is confusing when you say you had to add that.----Are you sure all the parts are original to a 79 model ?
Yes, bare rod, no threaded holes. I was surprised but I had parts I needed from a Johnson 100 hp of same year. One thread I read said the same about the hard starting. And a picture in my 79 manual shows no butterfly. New to me also, but why?? Strange.

Your motor has been modified.-----Your motor has had some different parts installed I think.----See a small device with a red lever ?

No it has the original electric/manual choke on it. My 90hp had primers of which were handy. Like I said, my 79 manual shows no choke on upper carb. I tried to send picture but my phone wouldn’t send. I will try iPad that I just purchased.

No it has the original electric/manual choke on it. My 90hp had primers of which were handy. Like I said, my 79 manual shows no choke on upper carb. I tried to send picture but my phone wouldn’t send. I will try iPad that I just purchased.
I'm not sure what manual you have, but the 1979 parts diagram for model 150949 shows a butterfly in each carb. All the old multi-cylinder outboards I've worked on have had butterflies in each carb. I've never seen a setup that only had chokes on some of them.

150949 Intake Parts Diagram

I can’t send a picture, I’t just won’t send. Says that picture to big.

I'm not sure what manual you have, but the 1979 parts diagram for model 150949 shows a butterfly in each carb. All the old multi-cylinder outboards I've worked on have had butterflies in each carb. I've never seen a setup that only had chokes on some of them.

150949 Intake Parts Diagram
I have a manual printed in 1978 titled 79 v6 only 150-235 hp by evinrude. The rod and butterfly from a 79 v4 100hp fit in perfectly because of matching numbers on both carbs. All I can do is shrug my shoulders. IDK. I will look at what you sent.

I have a manual printed in 1978 titled 79 v6 only 150-235 hp by evinrude. The rod and butterfly from a 79 v4 100hp fit in perfectly because of matching numbers on both carbs. All I can do is shrug my shoulders. IDK. I will look at what you sent.
I have same picture of intake parts in the manual minus the butterfly in upper carb. Unable to send you the picture in my manual. Have not figured out how to do it yet. 🤷

I have same picture of intake parts in the manual minus the butterfly in upper carb. Unable to send you the picture in my manual. Have not figured out how to do it yet. 🤷
Resize your photo to under 1Mb. Most cameras are way more that 1Mb, which consumes much bandwidth to xmit & equals mucho storage space.

IMG_0094.jpeg

After several tries I got it. I found that the linkage at top of rod was hanging up on set screw in the rod top. I went back to my manual and reset it at the 21.06 and finally I have both forward and reverse. My 79 manual was correct. Seloc was wrong. I can’t explain except to say I now can get on the water with this boat. Thanks for your inputs. GeneReed

So, a couple of things. No reverse on water. So have to try again using other measurement. That set screw must have made linkage to jam when I first tried at 22.6. But then I forgot to add cotter key on linkage and it fell off and when i put extra push on, it broke one piece of linkage. I thought I had it but I was wrong.I won’t be able to get at it until next week. I won’t post anymore, only when it works as it should-on the water.

The shift rod attaches at the top with a special bolt / pin.-----Not sure why you mention a cotter key ?
On the throttle shift linkage leading to the shift rod. Called a shift arm link I believe. I have to try again at 22.06 as the bolt pin was hanging up not allowing shift rod to come up far enough. Nothing was working so must make that adjustment as a last effort. Had lower unit off half a dozen times. It’s a bit heavy for an old guy to keep it up. But I’m as stubborn as the next guy. That new link is kinda spendy. Like gold!

Back