Logo

Will a 1995 GM 4.3L engine on merc-drive bolt up to a 2005 volvo drive?

tazzerblue

I have rebuilt 4.3L carb engine from 1995 boat. and Have a chance to buy a 2005 boat with cracked block 4.3L carb with volvo drive. Are the blocks the same? or same bolt pattern for the drive? I just want to swap the engines.

Ayuh,.... The blocks will interchange,....
The merc stuff will need to be swapped out to the volvo stuff,....

You need to have an engine mounted raw water pump
Check the number of teeth on the flywheel
You will need to use the Volvo Bell housing most likely
.... and the Volvo starter
Then there is the cooling system issue... Mercs usually have Raw water cooling systems while Volvos usually have a "partial" FWC system
... in the partial FWC system, the block is "inside" the "fresh water' ( antifreeze) system along with the heat exchanger, while the exhaust manifold
and elbows are in the sea water cooled circuit. Plumbing and gaskets between the manifold and elbows are different for different cooling systems.
How old are the manifolds and elbows on each ( old and "new") motors... and was the "new"engine used in fresh or salt water... and how long?

You need to have an engine mounted raw water pump
Check the number of teeth on the flywheel
You will need to use the Volvo Bell housing most likely
.... and the Volvo starter
Then there is the cooling system issue... Mercs usually have Raw water cooling systems while Volvos usually have a "partial" FWC system
... in the partial FWC system, the block is "inside" the "fresh water' ( antifreeze) system along with the heat exchanger, while the exhaust manifold
and elbows are in the sea water cooled circuit. Plumbing and gaskets between the manifold and elbows are different for different cooling systems.
How old are the manifolds and elbows on each ( old and "new") motors... and was the "new"engine used in fresh or salt water... and how long?
Volvo is a 2005. Minnesota lake boat. my rebuilt 4.3 Merc. 1995 Minnesota lake boat.. This is getting complicated. I assume gimbles are different. Or I would just transfer entire engine and drive..

Re: I assume gimbles are different. Or I would just transfer entire engine and drive..

IF the flywheel tooth count is the same, disconnect the "new" engine from the "drive" at the "bell housing" and connect the "new" engine to the "bell housing" of the Volvo in the boat..

Volvo is a 2005. Minnesota lake boat. my rebuilt 4.3 Merc. 1995 Minnesota lake boat.. This is getting complicated. I assume gimbles are different. Or I would just transfer entire engine and drive..
Ayuh,...... Life don't work that way,......
Volvo vs: Merc, is 'bout like Ford vs: Chevy,.....

I have rebuilt 4.3L carb engine from 1995 boat. and Have a chance to buy a 2005 boat with cracked block 4.3L carb with volvo drive. Are the blocks the same? or same bolt pattern for the drive? I just want to swap the engines.
Long blocks will be mostly the same. Intake on 1995 will be a 12 bolt non vortec 2005 will have vortec heads and. 8 bolt intake. I think front drive belt for accessories will be different. Flywheel cover and coupler should swap.

If you strip them down to the long blocks and swap the later volvo accessories over and you have some reasonable skill shouldn’t be that much of an issue. You will likely need to replace the exhaust manifolds off the later volvo as they will probably be cracked too

You can transfer pulleys to prop but that seems to be more work than swapping long blocks . The 95 engine will not have vortec heads so you will loose about 20 hp

Back