Logo

WMK30 Float Level Adjustment

"1980 Mercury 90 HP Outboard

Model: 1090620 90ELPTO
Serial: 7179095

Soaked carbs and cleaned up well, installed new gaskets, needles & seats. Checked float levels per Mercury Service Manual. Installed new plugs, & performed complete timing and syncronization procedure. Installed ear muffs, started engine & adjusted carbs. Motor ran smooth. Took to ramp to test run. Started engine, running smooth, then gas started pouring out of bottom of front cowling. Shut off engine, removed cowling & discovered center carb gushing gas out vent. Tapped on carb to try jarring float to no avail. Manual states with float bowl cover inverted, the secondary lever is supposed to be 13/32" or 10mm. From where? top of rim for gasket, gasket suface without gasket or gasket surface with gasket? Thanks in advance. and all info appreciated."

I believe it is supposed to be

I believe it is supposed to be from carb. When i rebuilt carbs for my engine i had them somewhat level with the carb. Hope this helps.

"Astro, The mearurement is fro

"Astro, The mearurement is from the shoulder of the cover t the top lever. You can just make the top float lever parallel to the carb cover, when inverted. If the float is original (foam), you might replace it, as they deterioate. if it is hard plastic, they sometimes crack. Also check the small spring on top of the float. it should be 3/32" long. Sometimes they rust away."

"Take a look at the attached d

"Take a look at the attached diagram
150129.jpg
float

"Thanks Guys I tore it back do

"Thanks Guys I tore it back down and readjusted float. Seems to have taken care of the gushing gas
biggrin.gif
Although see my other post on Idle Trouble....if it ain't one thing it's another
angry.gif
"

"ok guys... i have WMK-40 car

"ok guys... i have WMK-40 carbs that list the same specs as those above. the problem is... parallel on that top float lever and 13/32 are two different things by about 1/16. that, i think is a significant difference.

two of the carbs on my boat when disassembled did have the lever parallel with the carb body, but the other oddball carb was adjusted to the 13/32 mark.

i don't know which to do and i'd love some input before i reassemble. thanks ahead."

"Jeff, Make them as close as y

"Jeff, Make them as close as you can. The lever should be parallel to the carb body. The balance of the measurements are not as important."

Model: 1090620 90ELPTO
Serial: 7179095

Soaked carbs and cleaned up well, installed new gaskets, needles & seats. Checked float levels per Mercury Service Manual. Installed new plugs, & performed complete timing and syncronization procedure. Installed ear muffs, started engine & adjusted carbs. Motor ran smooth. Took to ramp to test run. Started engine, running smooth, then gas started pouring out of bottom of front cowling. Shut off engine, removed cowling & discovered center carb gushing gas out vent. Tapped on carb to try jarring float to no avail. Manual states with float bowl cover inverted, the secondary lever is supposed to be 13/32" or 10mm. From where? top of rim for gasket, gasket suface without gasket or gasket surface with gasket? Thanks in advance. and all info appreciated."
From the shoulder of the float bowl cap without gasket to the of the secondary lever should be 13/32 or 10.3mm then turn cap over and measure from primary lever to secondary lever should be 1/4 inch that’s from the bottom of your primary lever to the top of your secondary lever. The spring coming out of the float is supposed to be 3/32 sticking out of top of float if it is bent or stretched, you need to replace the spring

"ok guys... i have WMK-40 carbs that list the same specs as those above. the problem is... parallel on that top float lever and 13/32 are two different things by about 1/16. that, i think is a significant difference.

two of the carbs on my boat when disassembled did have the lever parallel with the carb body, but the other oddball carb was adjusted to the 13/32 mark.

i don't know which to do and i'd love some input before i reassemble. thanks ahead."
There’s 2 different carbs one that’s pre model 400 and the model 400. if yours is a model 400 then the lever needs to be parallel if it’s the earlier model it doesn’t have to be parallel. This is out of the service manual

Here’s a link to the carb specs specs and other info from the service manual
hth,
Headrick

Back