Logo

1965 Evinrude 40HP... Spark... Free Motor/Trailer/Boat

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
Thank you for reading and I hope I can find some help.


I pickup a 1960 Starcraft 15' runabout fiberglass for free. It came with a 1965 Evinrude 40hp Big Twin Electric Shift motor.

I do not have any keys, I removed the spark plugs and tested for no spark. Is it true, I must have "a key" in on position to get a spark.

I jumped the starter solenoid and starter motor turned over. Do I need a key to get spark ? Should I buy a key replacement or all new key switch assembly, I know they can go bad.

If anyone wants to recommend a hot wire solution, let me know. I wont try it, but maybe in my dreams haha

I will get you guys pictures.
 
See your other post. Easiest way to turn it on is remove the wires from the center of the vacuum switch in your first picture
 
Removed Black wire from vacuum switch and there was a red wire I removed also from vacuum switch and removed all black wires on key switch. I am using old plugs and when I did spark plug test I got a shock through my hand by having all of this disconnected.

Should i have the red wire on the vacuum switch?
 
For what you are trying to do, it makes no difference, As long as the black wire is disconnected, you should get spark. Not just a shock to your hands.

Reading your other post on this subject, this question has gotten way out of hand.
 
I found there was a loose black wire in the junction box that broke off from its terminal from corrosion I replaced and will run test

It appeared to be a ground wire from the harness in the junction
 
Back
Top