Logo

1976 evinrude 85 hp wont plain out, free spins

Tyler Creek

New member
So I have a 1976 glastron ski fish combo with a 1976 evinrude 85 hp motor. I just got the boat recently. Put new battery cables on it to fix the electrical issues. Starts right up and runs like a champ. Took it out for the first time yesterday. Got it in the water and started cruising around and it would plain out so fast and it was very quick. Made sure it wasn't getting hot since it doesn't have a pee stream. External tank for gas because tank in the boat is old and may have debris. Just wanted to test it. Did about 4 big laps around the lake and on the last lap near the ramp at plain it reved up and I immediately pulled power off. Got it to the ramp. Pulled it out of the water and checked to see if gearing was good. Put it in forward and prop locks up. Same with reverse. Put it back in the water and boat will go to about 5 mph. Goes forward and backwards but any more throttle then just a little bit and it's like it's free spinning. Looked into cavitating but I don't think it's the problem. I am going to pull prop tomorrow and look at the splines and if that's fine then I'm going into the lower unit. Any suggestions are welcome as I'm new to this older unit.
 
To elaborate on what racer said, that prop has a rubber cushion between the hub and prop to absorb shock. They harden with age and can slip at high power. It will act like a slipping clutch. I have the same engine and it has happened to me.
 
Ahh I see. That's exactly what I was thinking that it was a sort of clutch issue but didn't know of any. And yes racer I actually do want to get new water pump for it to. Figured if I'm opening it up might as well do it all. Love the boat for the 30 mins it ran well lol so the prop also has a small ding on it. I figured I should go ahead and get a new one, what prop should I be looking for? Aluminum or stainless? I'm in Oklahoma, and it will pretty much be just in Oklahoma red mud water. Probably won't be taking it to any creeks or rivers that have debris in them. And also should I look into a cavitation plate? Thanks for the reply guys. Yall pretty well explained exactly what I thought the issue was lol
 
Back
Top