Logo

1982 Evinrude 140 economixer alarm beeping

whaler

New member
I have the venerable and often misunderstood economixer installed and "working" on my 1982 evinrude 140 which pushes a matching 18' Whaler Outrage.
Recently there has been a series intermittent alarm beeping and red light flashing events that lead me to believe the economixer may be nearing end of life.
Alarm is intermittent and seems to be unrelated to: Heat of engine, time running, rpms, volts, oil brand/viscosity or any other constant yet determined.
The only possible correlation I have yet discovered is some fluctuation of the amp meter when the alarm is sounding.
Does anyone out there have advice on whether I should keep troubleshooting or simply remove economixer system and premix?
Is there anyone with information on what needs to be removed/disconnected to make the transition as safe and painless as possible?
Thank you!
 
If it was myself, I'd remove it and premix your fuel. If you have ever talked to some of the OMC boys from back in those days they would have said to take it off.
 
In agreement with Boobie... and I'm one of those guys from back in those days. Get rid of it and go to premix before you blow that engine.
 
The economixer was an optional item before VRO came out.---Likely hard to find parts and a technitian to work on it.--------------Just mix at 50:1 and go boating.
 
Anyone want a 1982 economixer in mostly working condition..?
Uninstalled and cleaning up/double checking everything tonight for testing this weekend. I found the original install instructions (boat has every piece of original paperwork) and did them all in reverse order.
Thank you all for the advice.
 
Whaler... If you have any takers, be sure to meet in a well lit area surrounded by others that you may call upon to assist you. :cool:
 
Back
Top