Logo

1987 Johnson 110hp. Won’t go into reverse at all but shifts into forward

Martyslim

New member
I was out boating the other day and everything started out perfectly fine, motor ran as it should and reverse and forward worked. After an half an hour of cruising on plane we stopped and did some jigging and then when I started the engine to change spots it wouldn’t fully engage into forward (just gave a clunking sound until we put it back in neutral) and reverse was completely gone. I drained the lower end gear oil and there was some metallic flakes that came out but no real chunks or enough flakes for me to say a gear is completely shot. Has anyone had similar issues or does anyone have ideas on how I can fix it?
 
Water pump work done recently?----I would remove lower unit and check shift rod height.----I would inspect control box internals.----And myself I would not hesitate to pull lower unit apart for inspection.----It is nearly 40 years old.
 
Back
Top