Logo

1990 115 4v

13ow3n

Im about to loose my mind. Motor at the beginning of the day runs absolutely fine. Wide open is great everything is great. But when I shut it off and fish for just a few minutes the motor won't idle. It will start but sounds terrible.. like it's bubbling under water ( not the normal sound) and no power... if I let it run for a minute with some throttle... I can sometimes get power back sometimes I can't and it runs terrible the rest of the day or it boggs down. Get it out of the water and it fires right up.. all compression is the same on all cylinders. New plugs, new lines, new fuel filter. But today I noticed a black soot on one side of the motor just under the motor about 1/4 down the shaft. I'm out of ideas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_225242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_225242_Gallery.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 3
Need to post the actual compression values when there are issues with a V--4 crossflow.----Does it run better with cowling off ?---Perhaps gasket between engine and exhaust leaking ?-----Run with a timing light one cylinder at a time.----Oil injection in service and tested ?----Overheat horn tested ?----Water pump impeller replaced every 5 years ?----Doers primer bulb go hard?-----Water in the fuel ?

Man I wish I knew the answers, I saved up for this boat forever and can't really afford to take it to the shop. I got the manual coming soon, I gotta figure this out. But here's what I got..

Haven't checked compression during its episodes... once I get it out the eater it's fine but I'll try.

Does not change with cowling off.

Not sure where the gasket is at but I will find it and check, thank you

Timing light, way above my confidence level

The oil injection thing has been eliminated if I understand what your saying.

Not sure what a overheat horn is

Impeller probably hasn't been changed since the 90s

Bulb gets hard... er...

Fuel looks fine.

I've got new coil packs, fuel pump, bulb and wires in my shopping cart from johnson. I'm just tired of buying things that I'm not even sure is the issue. Alot of heart breaking going on here.

Back