My neighbor purchased a 1991 Johnson 60 HP VRO 2 Stroke. It is not running 100%. In short, we cannot get it to idle, but it will run at WOT endlessly without issue and smooth.
Here are the symptoms:
The bizarre symptom..........
History:
Here is a link to the motor:
https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnson/outboard-by-year/1991/tj60tleib
1. I feel the VRO Fuel pump needs a rebuild. I see on boat.net there is a kit but not one that I can purchase or a part number, does anyone know of one? 1991 Johnson TJ60TLEIB 60 HP VRO.
2. Why does it idle on muffs and not a tank or lake?
3. Does anyone have a pdf service manual to this motor, I would like to go through the carbs again, and make sure the fuel/air mixture screw is set properly?
I welcome all opinions, help and questions, please. Thank you in advance, I am more of a Honda and I/O guy, so this is my first venture with a 20+ year old VRO 2 stroke platform.
Thanks,
Eric
Here are the symptoms:
- Will start, easily with a freshly pumped bulb and some gas on the neutral throttle
- The second you drop it down to neutral in gear it dies
- If you are fast enough to get it into gear and gas on, it runs at WOT.
- One Solid Alarm sounds constant, which indicates fuel blockage (The culprit)....
- The fuel bulb does loose pressure and you have to hand pump
- You can see the fuel in the internal fuel filter DROP, versus being sucked into the VRO Fuel Pump... (I think the VRO Fuel Pump needs a rebuild).
The bizarre symptom..........
- Running in a tank, if you drop it into neutral, it dies....BUT.....if you run it on muff's it idles perfectly fine in neutral...
. If you put it in the lake it behaves like it does in the tank..... WTH! I don't get this and this portion makes me a bit concerned as I have always found the tank to be better. Any advice?
History:
- Good compression in all 3 cylinders
- Previous owner (another close friend and good Army/Home mechanic) cleaned the carbs before selling to my friend. However that was on the original fuel line and bulb, which has been replaced, but I am afraid possibly some crap got into them but.....kind of doubt it with the inline fuel filter.....
- New impeller with solid water at the tell tale and no overheating.
- I did play with the carb adjustments but found no change in performance, I started with the middle carb, then adjusted the other two.
- We also, flipped the electronic fuel primer system to manual and the same symptoms exhibited.
Here is a link to the motor:
https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnson/outboard-by-year/1991/tj60tleib
1. I feel the VRO Fuel pump needs a rebuild. I see on boat.net there is a kit but not one that I can purchase or a part number, does anyone know of one? 1991 Johnson TJ60TLEIB 60 HP VRO.
2. Why does it idle on muffs and not a tank or lake?
3. Does anyone have a pdf service manual to this motor, I would like to go through the carbs again, and make sure the fuel/air mixture screw is set properly?
I welcome all opinions, help and questions, please. Thank you in advance, I am more of a Honda and I/O guy, so this is my first venture with a 20+ year old VRO 2 stroke platform.
Thanks,
Eric


