Logo

1996 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke no spark

I've check the stator the switch output and the charge output are within specs. Check ignition coils with ohm meter it check out within specs.
Checked the kill switch it check out OK. So I ordered a new power pack. Installed the new one and tested the output to coil, nothing.
Then I thought maybe the oil pressure was an issue, so I checked the oil pressure, it was good. Oil switch seems to be OK. will be able to check that out better when I get this thing running. Its it possible I got a bad power pack, it was brand new in box. Don't know where to go from here.
Any help would be appreciated

The Model is J10FREDR. Got another multi meter and recheck the ohms. This meter shows 79 ohms, manual states 57 +- 5, no shorts on the leads check.
The voltage output is 66 volts, manual states 70 volts. Is the enough difference that it will not fire. I've ordered another power pack, seller was willing to take back the first on.

Replaced the power pack. I now have spark, but weak compared to 2 stroke, that jump 3/8", I can barely get this to jump a little less than a 1/4 of inch.
I'll attempt to start it with this weak spark, when the weather changes here. 26 out there right now.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

ya, this cold weather sucks. 29 today and ice covered streets. Not going anywhere today.
When I started the 9.9 I let it run for over 10 minutes, and never did get hot enough to open the thermostat. I had a heat reading of 125 on the cylinder head. Takes a temp of 140 to open at 800 rpm. So you know its cold outside. I'm waiting now until it gets warm enough to see if the thermostat will open. :<(

Back