Logo

1999 BF130 tilting shaft tube part number

NSDON

Advanced Contributor
I can’t find a part number for this, mine is rusty, I cleaned it out and greased it and installed a new cable plus starboard side grease nut 2-3 years ago, now jammed up again inside the shaft. I’d like to find a stainless shaft.

It’s the tube inside the tilt tube, threaded on both ends, the steering cable slides through it. Honda made it of steel, not stainless, it’s crap for salt water.

Thanks,
Don
 
IMG_7069.jpeg
IMG_7069.jpeg
 
Item 16 in link below?
50381-ZY9-000

You might find a suitable stainless tube online to have machined.

Good luck.
 
Thanks for that, I’ll see what I can find.

Has Honda made these tubes from stainless on newer models? They are very prone to rusting in salt water.

I was working on a friend’s Honda 90, was surprised the bolts holding the thermostat housing were not stainless. One bolt broke off, it was a long time since the thermostat was changed.
 
I don't know but I'll wager they haven't "upgraded" those tubes to stainless.

The other things to consider about stainless are:

It's not as strong as most people think. A grade 8 carbon steel bolt has much higher tensile strength than it's stainless counterpart.

When used in conjunction with dissimilar materials, it will corrode and sieze easily and not be the "cure all" wonder metal we sometimes think.

And, the fact that there are so many grades of it.
I'm not smart enough to figure out if it's the "good stuff" or it's some crap a manufacturer used to save money but the law allows them to advertise "IT'S MADE OF STAINLESS"!

So caveat emptor.
 
I use a magnet to detect good stainless that won’t rust and for bolts I treat them as a grade 5. The bolts on the thermostat housing are a high steel content according to my magnet, the one that broke was welded in there with rust. I will use stainless and some silver antiseize. I’ve used that on salt water mooring shackles, works great and lasts forever. The rest of the steel non stainless shackles is toast but the threads are almost like new.

Thanks,
Don
 
They give you zerk fittings that lube the OD of that shaft. It may not be a bad plan to drill a few holes through that tube in the hope that some grease will make it to the interior....where most of the problems occur.
 
I got the cable hammered out, it was stuck solid and covered in rust from the inside of the tube. I put new cable steering in 3 years ago or so and sanded and wire brushed the inside of the tube, installed a Steersman nut. I’ll do the cleaning again but I may get a stainless one if I can find the right one. My Honda has a 7/8 tube and is likely 12 inches long. I see several places that make them.
IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_7084.jpeg
 
Alan, I was posting while you were, drill holes can’t hurt. It’s a lousy design that pretty much all brands have.
 
I couldn't agree more!! I've drilled several for friends after replacing that tube and/or cable, even in a fresh water environment. You just remove the zerks after installing the tube - prior to reinserting the steering cable - drill a 1/8" hole all the way through to the tube interior, and that's generally the end of that issue. No clue why that, or something similar, isn't done on an OEM level....

Many think inserting grease through those zerks is making it to the cable. As you know, nothing could be further from the truth! -Al
 
I bought a 5/8 drill, same size as the cable shaft running through the tilt tube. I reamed it out and my old cable shaft slid through no problem (I sawed the end off my old shift cable). I’ll do your zerk mod Alan and see what happens.
 
Back
Top