Logo

2000 50hp 4 stroke tilt/trim getting stuck

big daddy

Hi all

Recently I had my boat transported about 1250klms (almost 800 miles). I know some of the way at least it was done so without outboard support bracket.

When the boat arrived, it would not lower or raise. I undid the release valve screw and it lowered. then it worked again and appeared fine.

Next fishing trip same thing. wouldnt't raise or lower.

The tilt trim motor is working although it is an after market Caltric brand.

What happens now is that if the motor sits it wont lower or raise. unscrew the release valve and move the motor slightly and then it works fine.

One repair shop over the phone said it could be damage internally to the pump.

What do you guys think could be causing this

Thanks for your help

have checked the fluid. Having low fluid level would just stop it from raising all the way up. The bouncing up and down without support causes the pump to not work at all. Free it up by unscrewing the manual release valve and then it works fine.

I took boat to Marine place to get it fixed. Initially the guy said it looks like the main seal is leaking a bit and that would be why. But when I asked him why it would work after it was freed up he had no idea.

In all this is just a hydraulic pump and ram that lifts the engine. If it was low on fluid it would not go up all the way. if the seal was leaking it would lose fluid when in operation. But it would still work.

Does anyone else think it could be internal damage on the pump?

This problem has the marine place stumped as well. They have suggested 2 things. replace the motor and the ram assembly or replace the entire unit. It wont be much cheaper to replace parts of unit as more labour involved. $1700 odd to replace whole unit. hmmmm

I had this happened to me once also. I release it with the screw driver and add a little more fluid then bleed the air out and it works fine after that. It must have air trapped in the system at one point. If it works now and not leaking you should not be worry.

Back