Logo

2005 bf 225 won’t start power tilt trim not working

Jonathang

New member
I have twin 2005 bf 225 Hondas. I shut off the port motor while fishing and now it will not start. The power till trim doesn’t work either. I turn the key and have beeping. The stbd motor starts fine. I have replaced the perko battery switch and that didn’t fix the problem. When I turn the key I hear faint clicking in the motor toward the front, it is not the starter. I tested power to the fuse box. There is no power going to the number 1 fuse (ecm starter switch). When I turn the key there is power to the tach. I’m not sure what to do next.
 
Hi,
For multiple "symptoms" like this, I often suspect a bad main ground.
Try following your negative battery cable to where it connects to the outboard and see if there is even the slightest looseness there. There should be multiple wire ends connected at that point and corrosion tends to loosen them up.

It's actually better to just disconnect the battery and clean all the connection points there but, for testing purposes, sometimes just a quick wiggle will restore operation and tell you what you need to know.

Beyond that, I would treat the two problems separately by first trying to see why the tilt doesn't work.

Does fuse #3 (10 amp, white/ black stripe wire) have power?

If so, disconnect the connector for the tilt control relay and check for 12volts on the White wire.

If that's ok, you should access the tilt control rocker switch and test for power on the center contact wire (W/bl wire)

Try those things and post your findings.
Thank you.

Good luck.
 
The reason I also suggested troubleshooting the tilt is because the #3 (10 amp) fuse not only supplies voltage to the trim control switches but also to the ignition switch "Bat" terminal.

Additionally, the #3 fuse supplies voltage to the "start enable" relay control circuit that is housed inside the Main relay assembly.

The start enable relay MUST close in order for the #7 (30amp) fuse to provide power to the starter motor and, ultimately, the #1 (15amp) ECM fuse and the fuel pump.

I guess, in other words, the two systems are very closely intertwined.

Find why the tilt doesn't work and you'll probably solve the mystery.

Good luck.
 
I have 12.50 volts going to the motor. When I turn the key I hear a clicking that sounds like a relay? The lower tilt trim works on the motor with the button on the stbd side. The main ground only has one black wire from what I see. I had the meter on the main black wire on the bottom port side and tested. 1,2,3 fuses. 3 has power and 1.2 do not. However I test on working motor and same result. I turn the key and have beeping. Is there another ground I am missing. I have video as well. Not sure if I can add that. So to recap no blown fuses. 12.50. Volts to motor and I have no clue what to do now. what I see as main ground, single black is well connected. Honda dealer near me is three weeks backed up.
 
Well, the main relay, which actually has four relays inside it, is located at the front of the engine so that might be where you're hearing the clicking coming from.

When you initially said that the tilt wouldn't work, I assumed not at all but should have asked. Apologies.

The tilt not working from the helm could still indicate a poor connection to or in the remote harness or the remote control.

There's a "no start" trouble tree in the online manual that, if you want to try those tests, it might point you in the right direction. However, I can't seem to forward it or take screenshots to share and am not sure why.

I got the manual from member chawk_man here so I hope he sees this and will forward a copy to you. He is very well versed on the 225 because he's owned and worked on his for years. He is an excellent source of knowledge and experience and is always willing to try and help.

I will keep studying the problem and, if I come up with anymore "bright ideas", I'll get back to you.
 
Well, the main relay, which actually has four relays inside it, is located at the front of the engine so that might be where you're hearing the clicking coming from.

When you initially said that the tilt wouldn't work, I assumed not at all but should have asked. Apologies.

The tilt not working from the helm could still indicate a poor connection to or in the remote harness or the remote control.

There's a "no start" trouble tree in the online manual that, if you want to try those tests, it might point you in the right direction. However, I can't seem to forward it or take screenshots to share and am not sure why.

I got the manual from member chawk_man here so I hope he sees this and will forward a copy to you. He is very well versed on the 225 because he's owned and worked on his for years. He is an excellent source of knowledge and experience and is always willing to try and help.

I will keep studying the problem and, if I come up with anymore "bright ideas", I'll get back to you.
Thank you, I have the manual and will try those tests tomorrow
 
Section 2 page 19 in the one I have.

Looking at the wiring diagram, you might want to try locating and unplugging the 14 pin BLACK connector that contains most of the wires going to the remote and console.

It should have light green, light blue, yellow and red wires on one side.

The pins and sockets in those type connectors can get oxidation and corrosion and can lose contact.

Sometimes simply unplugging and reconnecting can restore good contact. Although, I would recommend using a good contact cleaner like De-Oxit while you do so.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.
 
Back
Top