Logo

4.3 Mercruiser MPI no spark from ignition control module

EggMan69

Hey everyone, I have a 2004 Searay 280 with twin 4.3 Mercruisers (MPI). Over the winter I swapped a motor out due to water intrusion and now after connecting everything I have a crank no start issue. I am currently trying to troubleshoot no spark going from the ignition control module to the distributor. I have verified the following:

I swapped fuel pump and main power relays between motors (they seem to be fine)

I have swapped the starter slave solenoid between the two motors (verified 12v on each post) I didn’t check the voltage for the 2 smaller posts but I believe those are for the starter and fuel pump ? Which both work

Swapped the sensor mounted to the front of the timing cover (both seem to work)

I swapped ECUs(whatever the engine controls module is called) both seemed to be working

Negative terminal connections on the bell housing studs look good

Fuses in the fuse bank look good

I get oil pressure readings on the gauges, so I think that would rule out no start due to oil pressure/oil pressure switch ( it’s my understanding oil pressure is a no start condition for TKS not MPI? Could be wrong)

I verified the shifter switches were working, won’t crank in forward or reverse so I think that’s good (unless there’s more switches I’m missing, only verified the ones on the shift plate mounted to the exhaust elbow)

There are no lanyards for the ignition so I don’t think I have that problem (just keys and they are both turned on)

All the batteries seem to be in good condition, I have a trickle charger on them so their always charged

There was no spark going to any of the spark plug wires, which lead me to no spark coming from the ignition control module. (Not thunderbolt, it’s whatever GM put out at the time P/N: 8M0054588)

I have verified there is 12v going to the ignition control module when the ignition is on

Could it be as simple as needing a new cap/rotor/distributor? The electrical connection on both distributors is missing so it seems mercruiser went away with that?

Pretty stumped on this, hoping to get some help, thanks in advance!

verify spark from the coil first. only other thing is the ECM went bad or you have a bad connection to the ECM plugs

verify spark from the coil first. only other thing is the ECM went bad or you have a bad connection to the ECM plugs
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! For some background, I did a long block swap over the winter (first time so I have no clue what i'm doing). I looked over at the old block to find the reluctor ring still attached. I never swapped it. This is probably my issue

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! For some background, I did a long block swap over the winter (first time so I have no clue what i'm doing). I looked over at the old block to find the reluctor ring still attached. I never swapped it. This is probably my issue
Yes on the mpi this is what triggers the spark..

Back