Logo

5.7 OSI-E engines built by Dr Frankenstein!!

Kajun55

Has anyone seen the following problem on a Volvo Penta Gas engine? The engines are 2006, S/N 4012191776 & 4012191777. I have been trying to locate a mechanic with the diagnostics equipment for over a year to help with a "hard to start after hot issue". He showed up with the computer and harnesses and attempted to connect to the engine test plug. The Volvo adapter plug has three tabs, one large and two small. The harnesses on the engines have one large and three small. The engine harness plug cover has Ford part numbers on it!!! He trimmed the test plug to fit the engine plug however the computer showed a wiring error. Is there another Volvo test adapter required for these engines or am I out of luck getting a diagnostic check on them??

This input was excellent, we located the correct connector hidden under the harnesses. Good news and bad news! There was only one code for overheating approximately 70 hours of run time ago. This is when I overheated both engine on a sand bar. All sensors appear to be working with nothing obvious. However, it was determined that both engines are starting with a very rich mixture and idle RPM approximately 50 RPM low. There is black soot on the cooling water on the ground. It looks like the rich mixture is with a cold or hot engine and more problematic with the hot engine. Opening the throttle to a flooded engine condition gets it started but is still very rich and takes about minute to clear up. Any thoughts, experiences, or just ideas would be helpful. I am going to start with fuel pressure checks.

Fuel pressure could be the cause but I would suspect the ECT sensor or the MAP sensor data....either can contribute to a rich condition...

yes on the fuel pressure --- probably should have done this a year ago. looking for about 8psi low pressure and 50-60psi at the fuel rail. Do you know how to do a proper pressure test? KOEO and KOER? under load?

are both engines doing the same thing? if this has been going on for over a year, have you tried a different gas source? when you start the engines, what do you have the batt switches set to?

I would assume that the tech who hooked up the scan tool would have checked temp and manifold pressures to rule them out, would I be correct in that assumption?

What was cam retard reading on the scan tool at idle? This is a very important number on these EGC engines.

Back