Logo

6 HP evinrude throttle

"Hi, I have a 1964 6Hp evinrud

"Hi, I have a 1964 6Hp evinrude fisherman outboard it is in near mint condition, the only problem I am having is the twist grip throttle slowly creeps down while running,kind of a nusiance when trolling. How can I tighten it up to keep it from doing this. Thanks"
 
"Yes a PITA, same with my 1984

"Yes a PITA, same with my 1984 model. Some models have a clamp on the tiller that will clamp the throttle in position. I could fit that to mine but have not bothered but I think your tiller is a differnt design so not applicable

I solved the problem by making a thin fibre washer that tightens up one of the pivots in the throttle linkage. Again yours is a different design but you might be able to do something similar.
A bit of a bodge I suppose but completely effective"
 
"Dale, there is no adjustment

"Dale, there is no adjustment point for that purpose. I think an shim could be added where the vertical linkage gets clamped/cradled at the motor. Just a little to put some light drag on the throttle movement may help your throttle creep."
 
"If this is the traditional &#

"If this is the traditional "twist grip" control, there will be a washer, spring and tension cone under the twist grip handle. You can access these parts by removing the single screw which goes through the plastic twist grip handle. It is possible that these parts were removed and never re-installed. If you want to see a similar setup you can click on this link. When you get there, select a 1968 model(they don't go back to 1964), Blow up the picture and check out part numbers 82,81 and 77. When a remote control is added to these motors, evinrude recommends removing the tension apparatus to make the remote operation easier.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=b46cd3fbfe9f4f279c55c41d7ce617c6"
 
Back
Top