Logo

75hp 1996 Mercury Throttle Problem

marks_issue

New member
"The other day I went to push

"The other day I went to push down on the throttle to trailer my boat it did not respond. It felt like something slipped. So, when the throttle is down there is no juice, it just idles. I'm thinking it's something simple, but not sure if I could fix it myself. I tried to see if I could see the problem, but no luck. Can someone give my a place to start to see what's wrong? Thanks for the help."
 
"Mark, are you saying that it

"Mark, are you saying that it feels like you busted a cable? as in not much resistance at the shifter and nothing happens with the motor.

You could remove the hood from the motor and have someone work your shifter (with the motor off) just to see what the cables are doing. If the throttle arm is staying put, that's a good indication that something broke or let go. If it's at the motor end it will be obvious, otherwise could be anywhere along the cable or at the shifter end.

Not a big job to change a cable, depending on your set-up..."
 
"Alright, I looked at the mot

"Alright, I looked at the motor and there are two cables going to the motor. One of them does move, but the one that connected to the throttle arm did not. I removed the piece that was connecte to the throttle arm and the wire inside the cabel pulled right out. So it looks like I have a broken cable. How do I go about replacing this. Do they sell the entire cable or can you buy just the inside wire? Also, would marines have this type of cable in stock?
Thanks again for your help."
 
"buy complete cable, use old c

"buy complete cable, use old cable as "fish tape" to pull new complete cable through (just as electrician would pull house elec wires through conduits)"
 
"Mark, good advice above, but

"Mark, good advice above, but you may need to remove the old cable completely (the cable and the jacket) to take it in to get the correct length. If you do you may want to "fish" a string on it to make installing the new one easier.

Any decent marine dealer can help you out with a new cable - Merc has their own style that comes with the proper "ends" for connection - but widely available in the aftermarket.

Alternately, you may have a generic (33C or 3300 style morse cable) that has Mercury ends on it - again, a dealer can quickly determine by looking at the old cable..."
 
"Ok, I was able to change the

"Ok, I was able to change the cable. Went to a dealer and they gave me an 11 foot cable. Old was 10 and 1/2 feet. Dealer said it would be fine longer but not shorter.

Now that I have the new cable on, it is not as smooth putting it in and out of gear. It seems to be idleing faster than before. I'm also having issues putting it in reverse. It is very very tight. Going forward it does fine, but trying to put it in reverse is very difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?"
 
"Mark, sounds like your shifte

"Mark, sounds like your shifter cable is experiencing what caused your throttle cable to break - it's seizing on you. Most times if one cable goes, the other is just behind it...

The faster idle is most likely due to a minor adjustment with the cable. Adjust at the motor end to make it a little "longer" - when you re-installed you probably hooked it up with the throttle arm slightly more advanced then it was with the old cable..."
 
Back
Top