Logo

Are there any real disadvantages to using a single LH unit on a tritoon vs a RH unit?

Scubagrog

Contributing Member
I purchased a lower unit listed as a RH drive but it turns out the unit is LH. I honestly thought it was RH until I checked it against my old one. The unit is pretty much brand new otherwise, seller said it was one of a pair of spares he obtained as part of a government auction where he was actually interested in stuff from another manufacturer. Anyway, I was considering just getting my same prop in a LH model.

Is there any disadvantage to using a single LH unit vs a single RH unit? The boat is a 24' tritoon if that makes any difference.
 
Well. not being the sharpest pencil in the box I run the risk of being wrong but, in my opinion, there's no disadvantage at all.

Good luck.
 
Thanks for y'all's replies. That's kind of what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I was missing. I figured the trim tab would need to move back the other way. With the rotation switching, I guess theoretically it could cause the pilot area on starboard to sit lower, but I don't notice it coming up now, so I don't think that is a big thing.
 
I had years of experience on a Volvo-Penta sterndrive. New boat had a Honda with counter rotation. It was a real challenge becoming accustomed to the stern being pulled to the port when in reverse. Docking wasn't fun at first. Honestly, docking is still a challenge after a couple of years. I have been meaning to try docking on the port side and see if that is easier. I prefer docking on the starboard side since that's the side the wheel is on.
 
NSDON,
Having docked a SunRunner 23 with a Volvo-Penta for 40 years, I was very frustrated when I started docking a Hewescraft 24 Alaskan with a Honda 225. I still find it difficult puling up to the deck on the starboard side, turning steering wheel to starboard and putting in reverse...the stern doesn't pull up to the dock like the old boat. I spent a few hours at an unoccupied dock practicing and I still am not as smooth as I used to be. It's also possible the Volvo could turn sharper than the Honda.

Thinking about it, I need to find an open dock without a bunch of eyes and see if docking on the port side is easier than than the starboard. Or maybe I need to learn Captain Ron's docking maneuver. <VBG>
Jeff
 
Well after taking it out twice this weekend, I can't tell enough of a difference on it. I did pre-adjust the trim tab to the other side by a little and it seems to have worked.
 
Back
Top