Logo

Can’t find model # in parts page. 1966 60hp

GigaShad

Contributing Member
When searching my model number (VXL-12R) the closest match is VXL-12.

Looking at the distributer assembly, it’s clearly different in the parts diagram vs what I have.

Using marineengine.com

Any recommendations? Is the “R” a less common variant?
 
Your motor has the magneto.----The motor is 60 years old.-----Poweryhead may have been replaced.----Bracket with model # may have been replaced .---ETC, Etc.------Is serial # on engine the same as on the transom bracket.-----There really is nothing special about this motor.-----Use the VKH to see the magneto parts.
 
I see. Thank you! I just searched the VKH model diagram and indeed the distributer does look exactly like what I have on my engine. This should be fun. Did you happen to see the plug wire where it connects to the distributer? That’s not correct, right?
 
I clearly stated that plug wires screw into the cap.-----Some " clubfisted owner " was not aware of that.----Note---when I started repairing motors that V-4 was practically NEW.
 
I clearly stated that plug wires screw into the cap.-----Some " clubfisted owner " was not aware of that.----Note---when I started repairing motors that V-4 was practically NEW.
I was able to view the wire screw in a parts diagram. Looks like mine might be missing those.

Sorry, I don’t see your response where you mentioned that. Thanks for your help. You must be pretty old ;)

I’m excited to work on this engine though. Can’t wait to get off work and start digging into it.

Is there a type of engine muff you recommend or any will work?
 
I clearly stated that plug wires screw into the cap.-----Some " clubfisted owner " was not aware of that.----Note---when I started repairing motors that V-4 was practically NEW.
Regarding the impeller, do you recommend replacing the whole water pump assembly, or just the fan shaped impeller part?

What about fuel pump, can I assume I’ll need to replace that as well?

I’m going to start ordering parts. I was planning on impeller, fuel pump, and lower unit seals right off the bat. Is there anything else that I’m guaranteed to need replacing? Thanks again.
 
On another thread ( 10:37 AM today ) I clearly indicated that wires screw into the cap.-----OLD ?-----Good luck with your project.
 
Last edited:
Ah…I see that comment now. Missed that thread. I can’t tell if you’re annoyed with me or that’s just your style of writing.

Thanks for the help. I’ll keep y’all updated.
 
Back
Top