Logo

Can a 15HP carb from a 1976 fit on a newer generation 1990+ 9.9HP

909

Contributing Member
Can a carb from this :

Screenshot-20210809-043529-Kijiji.jpg



Fit in this :

15-HP-evinrude.jpg


Seller claims it's 1990 , but it looks to be 1993+

Will the older carb fit in the newer outboard ?
 
Thanks, that's good news.

I'll take a 98 over a 90 any day.

Unfortunately, its completely different , won't fit

Too bad.

I know how difficult it can be to find this 15 hp carb
 
Do you think this 9.9 (with more displacement) can out perform my old 15 ?

255 vs 215 right ?
 
Are you aware that the decals are for marketing purposes ???----Are you aware of propshaft verses powerhead rating for power ?----So a 9.9 could be an 11 HP and a 15 could be 14.2 HP motor.
 
Your year can be ascertained from that little plate on the transom mount, right near the chain in your photo. Use the word INTRODUCES, where I=1, N=2 etc. A ‘98 would look something like E15REC-, the last letter signifying a change within the year.
I had an identical 15HP Evinrude that Racer fixed for me. They’re great motors, if yours runs well, why screw with something that works. The points ignition are pretty reliable, & cheap to fix if they do go. They only thing I like better on my ‘94 9.9 Evinrude is the shifter being your front vs on the side.
Look up Leroy’s Ramblings, he has a good write up on changing carbs, & how to make sure the one you buy off Flea Bay is actually a 15hp carb.
 
Your year can be ascertained from that little plate on the transom mount, right near the chain in your photo. Use the word INTRODUCES, where I=1, N=2 etc. A ‘98 would look something like E15REC-, the last letter signifying a change within the year.
I had an identical 15HP Evinrude that Racer fixed for me. They’re great motors, if yours runs well, why screw with something that works. The points ignition are pretty reliable, & cheap to fix if they do go. They only thing I like better on my ‘94 9.9 Evinrude is the shifter being your front vs on the side.
Look up Leroy’s Ramblings, he has a good write up on changing carbs, & how to make sure the one you buy off Flea Bay is actually a 15hp carb.

Is your 94 9.9 faster than your older 15 ?

I want to make the 98 9.9 into a 15 for better performance.

Lucky guy , wish Racer would fix my outboards
 
The 15 gains most of its extra power from the wider throat carb, (breathes better), & the higher rpm. If the boats weight, or prop prevent the higher rpm, you won’t go faster.
In reality, on my 14’ fishing Jon boat, there was very little difference in top speed, couple mph.
In fact, I mostly run it with a ‘94 Evinrude 8hp that Racer fixed. Idles right down, cheap on gas, & lighter to carry into some of the small lakes we fish. It’s top speed is not hugely different from the 9.9, as long as I’m solo, or just with wifey.
If I put 3 guys, the 8 struggles to get out of the hole, whereas the 9.9 pops & goes.
You have to look at the weight, & load you are carrying
If my boat/load combination required 15hp to get on plane, I’d just keep the older 15, it looks in nice condition.
If 9.9 does the job, I’d just keep it stock, they’re bullet proof, & accept a couple mph less.
That’s just my opinion, I had friends in high school who were always trying to get more out what they had, with varying results.
 
Thanks Edchris177, good reply.

My setup is similar to yours. The boats are always under 100 LBS. Usually 2 adults. About 20 liters of fuel and an outboard. Minimal gear. I also have to carry the boat and the outboard in, so weight is definitely a factor

I've strugged to get on plane with the old 9.5 turtles. They're insanely light , and compact but I quickly got rid of it . I ended up replacing it with 2 outboards . Both from the 70's . A 9.9 and a 15 . Like you , I did not notice much difference in top speed. Just a couple mph, and higher rev, similar to you. Where the 15 shines is when you load an extra passenger , or load the boat with a bunch of gear , a dog ect . Quickly got rid of the 9.9 with the smaller 215cc block and replaced it with this newer 9.9 with the bigger 255cc block.

Here I am wondering how much difference it will make , compared to my old 15HP . It has a bigger block. Better compression. Better spark CDI vs points. Will likely run smoother and quieter simply because its newer . And of course with gas prices, it will be more efficient . If it doesn't perform as well as the 15, I'll likely get rid of it . Downgrading is dissappointing. Carbs, especially 15HP carbs, are hard to come by. And when you do find them , people are charging an arm and a leg. It might be easier just to sell the 9.9 and find a 15 . Upgrading to a 20 or 35 isn't an option for guys like us , because carrying 100+ lbs is simply not an option.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top