Logo

Evinrude 135 basket case

billythegrape

Regular Contributor
I think it's what the tag in the photos says, but the top hooks on the transom mount are broken. Does this look like what the tag says?
1000017508.jpg
1000017509.jpg
1000017510.jpg
1000017511.jpg
1000017512.jpg
1000017513.jpg
1000017514.jpg

The motor is a 73 model.-------A 1 year model as far as engine internals go.----Those brackets and trim are of a 77 or newer motor.----ID / model # plate was switched over I think.

Transom was too thick, in the mid 70's we sold Robalo center console boats and we had to "trim" the ears off of those motors (not like that butcher job) in order to clear the transom. That is one Rube Goldberg motor with the later style trim and tilt.

I've brought home quite a few "clunkers" in my time. I've learned from my mistakes, and I'll share my steps to help you not throw away a lot of money. If you turn the key, does the motor spin? If so check compression. If compression is good, I spin the motor off and check for spark. If I have good spark on all cylinders, I stop spinning the motor over and I replace the water pump and I remove and thoroughly clean the carbs and install carb kits. At this point, I get a good, clean, known to be working gas tank and fuel line and I start trying to crank and tune it. I highly recommend searching for a carburetor diagram using your model number and looking it over and finding where the main and pilot jets are and make sure you clean them really well. Lots of the old Evinrude motors have plugs that have to be removed to get to some parts of the idle/pilot circuit passages.

I've brought home quite a few "clunkers" in my time. I've learned from my mistakes, and I'll share my steps to help you not throw away a lot of money. If you turn the key, does the motor spin? If so check compression. If compression is good, I spin the motor off and check for spark. If I have good spark on all cylinders, I stop spinning the motor over and I replace the water pump and I remove and thoroughly clean the carbs and install carb kits. At this point, I get a good, clean, known to be working gas tank and fuel line and I start trying to crank and tune it. I highly recommend searching for a carburetor diagram using your model number and looking it over and finding where the main and pilot jets are and make sure you clean them really well. Lots of the old Evinrude motors have plugs that have to be removed to get to some parts of the idle/pilot circuit passages.
I usually see if they run, then make them run correctly

Back