Logo

Honda BF130 starts then dies multiple times before running warm or cold

mclausen

New member
I have a high hour BF130 that will start then die multiple times before stabilizing an staying running. Once stabilized it runs fine. Lately it has been getting worse. Lifting the fast idle lever a little will help, but too much will make it die. If I quickly get it in gear it may stay running, but it will backfire a few times before accelerating. This is in California, so the fuel will be E10, and now probably E15.
I have replaced the IAC screen, changed spark plugs, and replaced the PCV valve.
I got an adapter and checked fuel pressure which is about 38 psi.
The boat also came with a BF150 with lower hours, so I don't want to put too much time and money into this motor. I have been hoping to make it through salmon season before making the swap.
Any thoughts on what this could be?
Thanks,
Mike
 
Has it been run a lot trolling at low idle? If yes, I’d run a load of sea foam through it regularly to clean out the valves of varnish. Run it on a small portable tank if your boat has a large fuel tank. Use a high octane fuel and run it a bunch at rpm’s above 3500. See if anything changes and do this with 2 or 3 tanks of fuel.

Did you find any dirt in your fuel filters or water fuel separator?

Has a valve adjustment been done recently?
 
Thanks for the reply.

I got Seafoam and a fresh water separator, but didn't get a chance to use it as I had to sort out a bilge pump problem before fishing.
Now I'm going out of town for a week.
I do not troll with the main motor, only the kicker. I usually run 4000-5500 RPM depending on the sea conditions. The previous owner did use the main motor to troll, but usually for Bluefin which is fairly fast.
I ran into a marine mechanic at the harbor, and he suggested to monitor the fuel pressure as the throttle is increased to make sure it is not dropping. I will try that as well when I return.
 
Back
Top