Logo

Is There A Marine Harmonic Balancer??

Could anyone tell me if there is a "Marine" harmonic balancer. I have a 1977 Chrysler 360, and I need to replace my harmonic balancer. The balancer that is on my motor has what looks like a weight attached to one side, the replacement balancer has a slot machined out of one side. There is not a lot of information out there on the topic. Please help.....

Captain Peter.

Chrysler used 7 digit part numbers. If its not stamped or cast into it somewhere on it and from your description above it sounds like a typical cast crank damper.
Why are you needing to replace it? I believe the stock one should be fine for stock applications unless the outer ring has spun throwing the weight out.

Chrysler used 7 digit part numbers. If its not stamped or cast into it somewhere on it and from your description above it sounds like a typical cast crank damper.
Why are you needing to replace it? I believe the stock one should be fine for stock applications unless the outer ring has spun throwing the weight out.

Thanks for the reply, there are no numbers on it, and yes the outer ring has spun.
I am having the motor rebuilt and I want to replace the balencer with the correct one, and I'm not finding a answer saying "Yes you can use the the one with the milled out slot instead of the weight."

Peter

If it looks like this one I might be inclined to try it. (Unless impossible to change once installed)
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mn1995.html
If you enlarge and index this one around to line up the key slots of the two, one had material removed while on the original material was added opposing each other.
http://ebayapi.loc8apartltd.netdna-cdn.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/eggAAOSw5dNWnPR9/$_1.JPG

If you do use a "used" one, you might mark the inner ring along with the outer as a reference in case of future spin failure.

Oh boy. The LA 360 marine flywheel and damper are COMPLETELY different from the auto applications. They're huge. 160 tooth flywheel. Rare also. Something to do with centrifugal inertia with boats. They don't have a transmission. They have a drive. If you pop the clutch in a boat it doesn't transfer anything other than to the drive. I'm looking at reducing much of that extra weight off the crank by replacing with an auto/truck "matched" set flywheel and damper. Which may require a re-balance due to the reduction of rotating weight.

Apparently, the marine and perhaps older version of the damper is heavier. Yet the later- lighter damper matches the "3 drilled" flywheels. I have yet to weigh both, comparatively. But the size of the 160 tooth flywheel IS heavier than any of the small block flywheels.

Back