Logo

Lost power on 4.3L v6 with SE116

Bigdawg25

Hey guys. Newby here. Had my 2005 Tahoe with 4.3L with SE116 outdrive out on water for first time this year. Checked everything OK before going out. Starting pulling the kids and made it about 5-10 minutes and all of a sudden, lost power, engine revved high and immediately smelled drive oil when it stopped. Popped engine hatch and black oil spewing from what looked like the side of gear oil reservoir. It never would go anywhere after. Pressure continued to blow oil out even after I shut it off. Whole engine compartment is sprayed with oil and reservoir is empty now. Had to get towed in. Luckily I was right in front of my camp. Pulled boat out and pulled lower plug from lower unit and saw metal sparkles. I’m assuming something in there blew but didn’t understand the spray in the engine compartment. Kids said they smelled the gear lube smell as soon as I took off towing them. No alarm, no warning, nothing. Alarm sounds now that reservoir is empty. I’m baffled at what might have happened

Since it seems you're still at the camp site? for now you could also try with the engine off, 'shifting into each forward and reverse gear positions to check to see if the propeller shaft locks into place in one direction and turns/clicks the opposite direction 'then the opposite turning affect happens when shifted again the other direction as the alpha drive does this in normal working conditions.

How old is the SEI116 stern drive unit?

Since it seems you're still at the camp site? for now you could also try with the engine off, 'shifting into each forward and reverse gear positions to check to see if the propeller shaft locks into place in one direction and turns/clicks the opposite direction 'then the opposite turning affect happens when shifted again the other direction as the alpha drive does this in normal working conditions.

How old is the SEI116 stern drive unit?
No clicking. Nothing. SE116 was put on 5-6 years ago

No clicking. Nothing. SE116 was put on 5-6 years ago
Darn, as you're out of the 3-year no fault warranty they offer and the drive sounds as it’s destroyed inside... could try calling or emailing them to explain the situation to where maybe they'd offer up a slightly better price off on the next purchase. Either way, they are still reasonably priced for something new vs most old used ones out there for sale on say offerup, craigslist, etc..🤷‍♂️

Back