Logo

Marine Gauges for 1989 110 Johnson 2T

Byte

Regular Contributor
I will be installing a new helm panel, which will accommodate new marine gauges for my outboard.

I can fit 4 x holes for these guages.

I am wanting the following guages:
I want to be able to view them at night, and must not allow water to leak inside.

I am also thinking of getting a digital voltmeter...thougths?

What Maxium / Minimum amp range do I need to consider?

What maximum / minium volt range do I need to consider?

What is the highest temperature I should be expecting to see?

What background colour (within the gauge) is best for functionality and why (black or white)?

Is there a special consideration I need to take into account when acquiring the tacho for this particular motor (i.e. # poles, etc)?

Besides VDO, what other brands do u recommend for these guages?

Byte

Last edited:
You will need a 6-pulse rev counter, however not ignition pulses but charge pulses. (read from alternator) with a minim of 6000rpm (500 above max rated for engine).
Drop the Amp meter, you will never get it right unless you install one with a separate shunt on the battery cables.
Volt meter is about the best to keep check of charging.
Temp gauges on outboards normally uses contact sensors(touching the heads) and not sensors drilled into the water jacket.
Digital? Have you ever tried reading digital instruments in 40 knots and choppy seas at night???
Check out the BRP ranges, Faria or whoever sells MARINE instruments!!

many thanks for reply.

interesting comment on the amp meter. what are the barriers to 'getting it right'?

this is what i have read on another forum about amp meters:
"....Just after start up they show a heavy state of charge usefull to know if your charging system is working. Then after a few moments it's good to know the Amp gauge is returning close to Zero! that means your battery is recovering and taking the charge, if it doesn't start looking for a new battery.

If your 50 miles of shore and your showing a Amp discharge you had better turn off all unnecesary electrics as your battery is going flat as your alternator is stuffed, or your using to much power and soon enough your motor will stop! And you just might not make it back.

Also useful to see what charge the battery is taking before turning off the engine when your off shore. If it's taking many Amps then the battery is no where near charged!! so don't turn the engine off you may have a dead battery....."

are these reasons above good enough justification for installing an amp meter?

what sort of temp gauge sender (to fit under a head bolt and pushed tight against the head) would be ideal for the temp gauge?

how is a digital readout difficult to read in choppy seas, wind and at night (sorry for ignorance here)?

i understand the incremental differences between 12 and 14volts are very important to be aware of, and i do not believe the analogue voltmeter guage is accurate enough to detect this critical range of temperature. interested to hear your thoughts and please correct me if you feel i am talking BS.

would i expect water pressure to go beyond 30psi for this motor?

where does the water pressure sensor get mounted and what area in the water system does it actually measure?

Byte

Last edited:
Normal installation of Amp meters just gives an indication of how many amps the alternator pushes into the system and not how much that goes into the battery.
The alternator may push out 10 Amps, but id you have stereo, radios, fishfinders, etc running and consuming 20 Amps you in fact drain your battery!
The Volt meter gives you the actual voltage in the total system including the battery. A fully charged battery should read about 12,5Volt. The alternators will at max give around 14,5 Volts to be able to fully charge. Should your Volt meter start dropping to 12,5 Volts when running, you know you are starting to drain the battery or charging has failed for some reason. having a volt meter installed, you may even use it as an 'emergency' multimeter in case other electrical functions starts to fail.
As for digital instruments - have you tried reading a news paper when driving (as passenger!!) on a bumpy road? Whenever I rigged boats used in somewhat 'extreme' conditions I always installed instruments (analog) with the dial pointing straight UP when at optimum condition. Any abbreviation noted immediately without having to focus and read digital numbers or the scale behind the dial.
As for temp instruments/senders you need to get them matched in the range you want. The originals are.
The pressure meters, T-connected into the tell-tale hose from the exhaust cover, reads the water pressure in the block BEFORE thermostats. This means that running on idle and the thermostats opens, pressure drops. When installing, note the max pressure obtained and at what RPM. If you need to increase rpm to obtain same pressure, your impeller is starting to fail. !0-15% drop, change impeller even if looking 'good'.

many thanks for that clarification.

what is an ideal colour for the background on these gauges - white or black?

so, i will now buy the following gauges:

tacho
voltmeter
water pressure gauge
water temp gauge

do u know what range the temp should be and do u know of any gauges that are scaled in degrees celcius, and water pressure gauges in psi (and not bar)?

i have checked the brp site and they do not have guages in their catalogue listing.

Cameron

If running at night you will not want white back ground as it may give too much light. I liked the old Tech series from OMC, black back ground, indirect illuminated dial and white numbers.

thanks again for input - you have been a very big help!

what is the disadvantage of giving away too much light at night?

your thoughts on the faris gauges with black background?

How does black background compare to the white in daylight?

can you provide the link for these old Tech series gauges from OMC?

all i can find is this link and it does not show close up pics of the gauges
http://www.usboatsupply.com/Evinrude_Johnson_Gauges_Tech_Series.php

oh - and all 4 gauges must be 2" hole sizes - no larger.

Cameron

Last edited:
Too much instrument lights and you loose your night vision.
Best is to have the light red or green dimmed down.
Here a pick of the old Tech series Volt gauge:
0174687.jpg

Rev counters are 3", the rest 2".

Try Google and go to 'images', but not much around.
You may even go to Evinrude.com - 'accessories' and mod year to get part numbers, but no good photograps.

Do NOT use a sensor that goes into the water jacket, but as mentioned before a contact sensor that reads out the head temp.
There are multiple reasons:
-Corrosion build-up on sensor in salt water. (block drained for water and sensor exposed to air when stopped)
-The temp of the head is normally higher than the internal water, but the head temp is the critical one in this application.
Just to mention two.
Some heads have a threaded hole in the casting that does NOT go into the water jacket, this may be used.

thanks.

can u direct me to any link showing these contact sensors?

how do i know which threaded hole in the casting exists that does not go into the water jacket for this outboard?

cameron

Hi again.

I am still confused about what sensor to use and where...

Here are some pictures of my motor.

Are you able to advise me where I can or should mount a sensor....

Also, can you confirm that the naming of this sensor - is it still called a water temp sensor or is it called a head temp sensor or something else?

Cameron

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 62
Go to evinrude.com - accessories -89 - water temp instruments.
You will find a kit that shows the complete kit. It includes a bracket for the sensor that is attached to the top using one of the head cover screws.

HI.

I have tried this, and do not see "89-water temp instruments.."

see picture...

Attachments

• access.jpg
    access.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 80
Sorry. You have to go by parts -view parts cataloges - select one: OB accessries - 1989 - instruments - outboard water temperature gauge.
Was a bit quick, too used to it by myself.

excellent - thanks. - great website!

DO u know if this is 2" cutout for guage itself?

I can only accommodate 2" gauges in my helm panel.

ALso, I presume this gauge is in deg F.

I would love a gauge that shows deg C - as the primary scale numbers...

Page 19 of this catalogue shows a water temp gauge and an Engine Temp Gauge with deg C as the primary scaled numbers.

http://aftermarket.continental-corporation.com.au/files/YAPPQIPYDL/Viewline_Marine_Catalogue_2010-11.pdf

Could I perhaps use the Engine temp gauge with the matching sender on this same page?

If so, where/how would this sender be attached?

What is the thread of my head bolt on my motor?

Cameron

Last edited:
Sorry. You have to go by parts -view parts cataloges - select one: OB accessries - 1989 - instruments - outboard water temperature gauge.
Was a bit quick, too used to it by myself.

Why is this called a water temperature gauge if it measures motor head on outside and does not even touch water???

Cameron

As long as senders match, you may use them. Note that most senders intended for installation in water jackets will not work as contact sensors. You attach the bracket for the sender with one of the smaller cover bolts and not the head bolt.

would like to do this project on my 1986 110 do you have any photos/info on where you bought the products and what screw you installed them in

Back