Logo

Mercruiser Seawater Pump Rebuild

pwskicat

Regular Contributor
1995 350 Magnum EFI Tournament Ski
SerNo: 0F652552
Seawater Pump: 46-72774A50
Seawater Pump Kit Sierra 18-3237 ???

Hope this query finds you and yours well and happy. The pump ir original and its plastic impeller housing got replaced with a brass housing when I bought the boat in 2016. This engine gets less than 20 hours use per season, so the pump tends to last a long time. So long that I forgot the last time I rebuilt it and what-all parts I used. Pretty sure I just replaced the impeller, pressure plate and gasket. But I'd appreciate a refresher. Anybody know why so many kits come with new bolts and washers? I can't see the point of replacing those, but if there's a good reason, please enlighten me. Many thanks for your help, PW

First, lack of use is as bad if not worse than a lot of use. The impeller sits in a off center postlition causing the blades to take a curved shape causing lack of suction/pressure. So sitting for long periods of time actually shortens life span.
I cannot say for sure why they offer bolts nuts and washers but it may be related to salt water exposure. Remember all marine products (so they say) are designed for salt water enviroment.

If the price is not that much different then buy the whole kit! If you are only doing this once every few years does it really matter if you save a few dollars?

I am about to do preventative maintenance on my boat. All boots bellows and water hose. All parts are mercury. Did they cost me more than aftermarket, you bet, almost double. But I wont have to do it again for 8-10 years and I know the parts are correct.
Just my opinion....

Back