Logo

Mercury 75 ELPT 2003 wont shift forward to neutral under load.

redex

HI,
I have Mercury 75 ELPT four stroke 2003. It will not shift from forward to neutral under load. All other changes are fine. However if the engine is turned off if shifts perfectly. I have removed both cables from the motor and operated by hand, shifts fine with engine off, wont shift forward to neutral with engine running even at a speed where the engine is almost stalling.
Any ideas ? am I missing some adjustment somewhere or is the problem in the gearbox/lower unit.
Your help appreciated.

Regards Neil

Hi Mechanicman,
thanks for the reply, was expecting that anyway. Just hoped there might have been something I missed, or a miracle cure. Its a chunky lump and not looking forward to removing/refitting it. Still I get to do the water pump at the same time. Only just finished rebuilding carbs. Had to swap the No 1 with idle adjuster for one of the other carbs because a ham fished spanner turner snapped it off trying to fix a stripped thread. Going to cut a hole in the side panel to allow me to drain the bottom carb. Every carb engine I work on ( bikes, power tools, generators, anything not in daily or weekly use), suffers from corrosion, jelly, water and lacquering from ethanol mixed petrol in the U.K ever since E5 (now E10, and going to E20 soon, 2030). Replacing rubber seals and pipes with ethanol resistant material whenever possible. Tried all the popular fuel treatments (Redex, Stabil, Briggs and Stratton etc) since E5 appeared, fairly good results, but no use with E10

Thank you Neil

Back