Logo

Mercury Marine Valve Adjustment Question

Harley51

I have a Mercury Marine 2002 15El 4S. I would like to check the adjustment on the valves. According to the service manual you disconnect the fuel lines and remove the valves cover and check the adjustment. But the fuel pump is mounted to the valve cover and according the manual there's an o-ring that looks like it should be replaced also. I also found out that the Valve cover seal is unavailable. If you can't find the seal what would you use to reseal the cover. Is there anything else that needs to be done.

Might be a risk not worth taking...risk/reward scenario, only pursue it if you are confident the adjustment is necessary or is definitely the source of a performance issue. If you can't answer those then do a little more research.

Their solid lifters and should be checked every so often. I found the gaskets and o-rings. I won' t proceed until I have all the parts. I'm a mechanic and always do my own work. I'm just asking if there is any thing else that might need to be done. Typical Service manual takes you so far.

Back