Logo

Mercury Product Protection - Extended Warranty - Worth it?

SoCalAngler

Regular Contributor
Just wanted to know if those that have purchased this warranty, and have used it, believe it to be well worth the cost.
There are both Gold and Platinum versions. Platinum being more expensive and covering more (see attached).

I'm typically not one to purchase warranties for vehicles, appliances, etc, but these motors are pretty sophisticated....more than what I am accustomed to working on, and expensive to repair for the items I am unable to perform.

I will be performing my own maintenance service work (if the warranty does not prohibit it!).

After one year of ownership, I recently received a letter from Mercury to add their product protection.

When I purchased my boat new it came with 3 years factory Platinum + 2 years of Gold coverage (Gold was a promotion at the time at NO additional cost).

Current Offers:

1. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum $140.00
2. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 1 additional year $440.00
3. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 2 additional years $660.00
4. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 3 additional years $840.00

Thoughts?
Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • merc 3.pdf
    190.4 KB · Views: 523
If you need to make a valid claim under the plan it will be worth it.

If you don't need to make a valid claim under the plan it will be money wasted.

Mercury knows the odds. They are betting you won't need to make a claim. They are hoping that you are betting that you will need to make a claim.
 
What do you do after the warranty expires? Is there any place to add more protection? My 250Pro XS was invoiced to the dealer in 2019, but was on my 2020 Phoenix 921 Elite. I have the 5 year warranty which expires 7/2025. I don't have alot of hours on my boat as I was sick for two years and just now able to get back into bass fishing. My concern is what if something happens now?
 
Just wanted to know if those that have purchased this warranty, and have used it, believe it to be well worth the cost.
There are both Gold and Platinum versions. Platinum being more expensive and covering more (see attached).

I'm typically not one to purchase warranties for vehicles, appliances, etc, but these motors are pretty sophisticated....more than what I am accustomed to working on, and expensive to repair for the items I am unable to perform.

I will be performing my own maintenance service work (if the warranty does not prohibit it!).

After one year of ownership, I recently received a letter from Mercury to add their product protection.

When I purchased my boat new it came with 3 years factory Platinum + 2 years of Gold coverage (Gold was a promotion at the time at NO additional cost).

Current Offers:

1. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum $140.00
2. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 1 additional year $440.00
3. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 2 additional years $660.00
4. Upgrade 2 years of Gold to Platinum and ADD 3 additional years $840.00

These engines are really complex and spare parts are not cheap, so if something serious breaks, the repairs will easily exceed the cost of the warranty itself. On the other hand, if you are a careful owner and monitor maintenance, then there is a chance that you will not need the warranty. Here I would consider the upgrade options more as insurance for peace of mind: paying $440 or $660 and being sure that serious breakdowns will be covered in the coming years may be wiser than later shelling out a couple of thousand for repairs. In business, by the way, the logic is the same: companies often invest in long-term solutions to save on risks. Recently I read about how you can build an AI ATS system - the idea is that at first you spend resources, but then you get stability and savings. The same is with warranties: sometimes it is an investment in confidence and less headaches in the future.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Never used warranties. This topic is always controversial.
 
Back
Top