Logo

Motor wont revup in the water with prop attached but will with prop removed.

1983 Mercury 50hp 4 cylinder, it revs up in gear when on muffs but when I bring it to the lake it revs in neutral but put it in gear in will not rev up to full speed, it only goes about 5 mph, I removed the prop and backed it in the water at the landing and it revs high same as in neutral. Carberators have been disassembled and cleaned.
 
In gear with muffs is the same as NEUTRAL.------Stop running this motor.----Do some testing.------Post compression values.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads.----Sounds like it is running on 2 of 4 cylinders.
 
I will do compression tests again, how would I know if 2 of the cylinders aren't firing? brand new plugs recently and replaced rings on all cylinders.
 
Compression tests 8/3/2024

top 95
2nd 90
3rd 110
4th 100

good spark on all 4

Replaced spark plugs, stator, piston rings, switchbox, diaphrams and cleaned carbuerators in the recent past.
 
Back
Top