Logo

Must keep small amount of choke to stay running.

Ken Thompson

New member
Hello everyone, new here and to outboards. I recently bought a 2006 Mercury 6hp 4stroke and used an old external tank set up, I am having issues.
It ran fine initially, then 10 minutes into running it sputtered some and died. I ended up replacing the old external fuel line and bulb with new, but had the same issue after running awhile.
I tinkered a bit and found I can keep it running if I keep a small bit of choke on (about a 1/4 inch pulled out). The guy I bought my boat from (not motor) told me the bulb on the fuel line should stay hard once pumped up, but mine doesn't. And while finding the right amount of choke and fiddling when it starts sputtering, pumping the bulb will bring it back.
He told me this might be an air leak in fuel tank, but as I watch YouTube videos it seems it has to have air flow, so what does that mean?
Any ideas on what I should check next (and how) would be greatly appreciated.
 
Apologies for semi high jacking your thread, but I am having similar issues, was gonna post, but in searching, I found yours, so I think we can both get our issue solved with answers that will be coming, this forum is great. I also have good bulb, checks one way, new proper fuel line, tank looks good.......but noticed to keep it running, I have to keep pumping the bulb. Starts off pumped and firm, but when it starts to die, if I pump the bulb, which is now not firm , it will then keep running , rinse, repeat. I'm thinking Fuel pump rebuild kit ? I'm also probably needing to rebuild the carbs, but that's not related to the bulb issue. Motor sat for at least 5 years, but unknown really.
 
Apologies for semi high jacking your thread, but I am having similar issues, was gonna post, but in searching, I found yours, so I think we can both get our issue solved with answers that will be coming, this forum is great. I also have good bulb, checks one way, new proper fuel line, tank looks good.......but noticed to keep it running, I have to keep pumping the bulb. Starts off pumped and firm, but when it starts to die, if I pump the bulb, which is now not firm , it will then keep running , rinse, repeat. I'm thinking Fuel pump rebuild kit ? I'm also probably needing to rebuild the carbs, but that's not related to the bulb issue. Motor sat for at least 5 years, but unknown really.
Welcome, yeh we'll see what folks have to say. I just bought mine so I'm only able to go off what the seller said and how it looks... both of which are this had a pretty fresh carb and fuel delivery system(it all looks new)... the seller had only owned it for a short time, found it underpowered his boat and bought an 8hp. I feel like this is something to do with the external can set up, and that's what a couple of people have supported. I just can't figure how to test anything to find out. Hopefully someone will enlighten both of us.
 
The manual fuel pump ( bulb ) does NOT stay hard once motor has started.-----This simple fact has confused many folks.-----If fuel is left sitting in a carburetor , they gum up.-----Small ( very small ) jets plug up.----Carburetor cleaning is needed.-----And if there is an air leak INSIDE your fuel tank the motor will STOP running.-----Also replace water pump impeller every 5 years.-----And replace it now since you may not know how old it is.
 
The manual fuel pump ( bulb ) does NOT stay hard once motor has started.-----This simple fact has confused many folks.-----If fuel is left sitting in a carburetor , they gum up.-----Small ( very small ) jets plug up.----Carburetor cleaning is needed.-----And if there is an air leak INSIDE your fuel tank the motor will STOP running.-----Also replace water pump impeller every 5 years.-----And replace it now since you may not know how old it is.
Thank you.... can you suggest a way (or point to a resource that does) to test if there is a leak inside the fuel tank?
 
racerone........dude's got the secret sauce !!! So the only air leak area I can think of would be right at the top of the tank pick up tube, where it attaches to the connector for external fuel line ?? .....When I inspected today, that pick up tube just slide right off by itself, so I put a small clamp on it and reassembled. Will test again soon. Bummer ...this site's parts search shows impeller for my motor as ...unavailable......fuel pump rebuild kit also N/A
 
racerone is now 2 for 2 !! If I were to ever meet you, you would probably get a big ole' smooch :) .....that clamp I placed on the inside of the tank solved the problem. She runs now continuously. Also ended up just calling the phone line , and they were able to find the parts I couldn't (operator error) of course...lol Thank you !!!
 
Back
Top