Logo

NO OIL LIGHT - Indicating the Oil Reservoir is empty

DougDayFL

Member
I have a 1997 Johnson 115 HP engine. I recently had the fuel pump replaced. Now, when we run the engine I get a NO OIL LIGHT indicating my oil injection reservoir is empty. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find one. Does this model not have an oil reservoir? I'm mixing oil and gas, can I ignore the light.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Small Model Number and Serial Number.png
    Small Model Number and Serial Number.png
    584.9 KB · Views: 65
Should be a oil tank in boat. If so follow the 2 wires to engine and disconnect them Why did you replace the fuel pump?
 
The mechanic I used broke a part off of the fuel pump and replaced it on his dime. I found where the reservoir was at one time, but now it's gone. I'm going to see if I can follow the wire and unplug it, or can I just ignore it?

Thanks, faztbullet
 
The mechanic I used broke a part off of the fuel pump and replaced it on his dime. I found where the reservoir was at one time, but now it's gone. I'm going to see if I can follow the wire and unplug it, or can I just ignore it?

Thanks, faztbullet
Unless you have an oil reservoir inside of the cowl, no, you can't just ignore it! This wasn't designed to have oil mixed with the gas, although you might be able to do that, in theory. In practice, you need to ask the freaking guy who worked on it where the tank went!

Is that some random guy who does this work cheap, or does he do it for a living?

I worked on a Regal jet boat with Merc 50 HP motor. The guy came in because "it stopped running", but it turned out that he didn't like the constant sound of the warning buzzer, so he cut the wires to it under the dash. That led to the motor grenading in the engine compartment and I found rollers from the bearings scattered throughout. The block had holes in the sides, connecting rods and piston parts and all sorts of other mayhem. The reservoir had been blown off of the motor but the wires to the warning buzzer still had continuity and the cap's switch still functioned when I moved it.
 
No reservoir on engine and fuel pump don't care if it premixed. That why engines came from factory with yellow oil block off plug so you can run premix.
 
No reservoir on engine and fuel pump don't care if it premixed. That why engines came from factory with yellow oil block off plug so you can run premix.
Right, the pump doesn't care but the OP wrote that it had a tank and removing parts without apparently discussing it with the boat owner is a crappy way to do business. Setup is optional, as the manual shows- it can have the oil tank or mixed in the tank.

 
Back
Top