Logo

Opinions on Sierra Full Synthetic 2 Cycle TC-W3 Marine Engine Oil?

Rook66

Regular Contributor
I've been using it for a while now and it seems to be good stuff. I've not had any plugs fouled since I've been using it or any motor problems.

I've been running the mix at about 32:1 in my old Johnson and Evinrude outboards and about 50:1 in my chain saw and weed-eater.

I've been paying just over $26.00 a gallon for it. It's cheaper than the other brands of full synthetic oil that I've found. In fact it's cheaper than the Mercury or Quick Silver synthetic blends and it's TC-W3.


islp1kp.jpg
 
Since it is TCW-3 rated, no doubt it works ok in your outboards, but I would not use it in my chain saws or weed wackers. The W in TCW stands for use in water cooled engines. Your saws and weed wackers require a different method of deposit management due to the higher temperatures of air cooled engines. Search the Internet, there are a lot of documented examples where catastrophic failures occurred using TCW-3 oil in air cooled engines.


 
I'm from the old school and only use an oil with the motor's manufactures name on it. JMO.

I hope this doesn't disappoint you but there are no oil refineries with the name Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury on the side of the building. I can have them bottle oil with my name on it if I want to pay the price.
 
From my STIHL manual. What part is not clear?

Use only STIHL two-stroke engine oil or equivalent high-quality two-stroke engine oils that are designed for use only in air cooled two-cycle engines.

We recommend STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil since it is specially formulated for use in STIHL engines.

Do not use BIA or TCW rated (two-stroke water cooled) mix oils or other mix oils that state they are for use in both water cooled and air cooled engines (e.g. outboard motors, snowmobiles, chain saws, mopeds, etc.)
 
The label on my Johnson 3 hp made in 1966 says to use "outboard oil or S.A.E 30 regular automotive engine oil".

Any motor the company recommends using S.A.E 30 oil to mix for a 2 stroke motor is not all that picky about what oil is to be used and neither is my chain saw or weed-eater because they've been getting the same oil I use in my outboards since 1988.
 
I'm not giving any advice. You can't give advice on this forum 'cause most everybody here already knows it all.
 
Well I come here to talk about 2 stroke motor oil and some a.s.s hole wanted to give me a hard time about using it in my weedeater and chain saw. Ask them why they are here!
 
Ok, Rook66 since you asked, I'm here to help keep clowns like you from spreading bad advice and possibly causing damage to
others' air cooled engines. Your use is in spite of your actions, not because of them.

Air cooled two strokes normally run at much higher temps and rpm than water cooled two strokes.
Head temps can exceed 500 degrees F and rpm's can approach 7-8000 or higher. The oil must be
far more heat tolerant. It also provides for a slight carbon build up to act as further lubricant and heat sink,
which is something you typically don't want in a water cooled two stroke (think: de-carb). Hence, it is different
from TCW-3.
 
Rooky66-----Was TCW-3 oil available in 1966 ??----Maybe it was NOT Available and therefor not mentioned on the label of your 1966 motor !!
 
I don't give a damn about a weedeater or a chain saw. You are worse than an old woman you just won't let it go. If you don't like what I type then don't read it. Sheese!
 
Just to join in the fun I use my leftover 2 stroke mix in everything. My weedeater, chain saw, even my 4 stroke mower and snow blower... They all run great.
 
Back
Top