Logo

Reviving a sunken B20

nuclearlighter

Hello everyone!
This year I decided to try something new and bought a Draco 2000HT boat with defective engine. Too bad it turned out that the boat has been underwater for some time. The engine was full with water (I mean FULL), but I hope to get it working again. Simply because ... why not? It's not stuck, it's not too rusty, nothing important is missing. I'm taking it apart to clean and check everything. So i hope this might be a place to find some answers that I'll have in process of restoration.
I'm not a mechanic, but I have some experience with smaller engines, I have tools and for now - I also have a motivation, so please don't kill it right away, haha. :D
--
So, there's my first question. The engine (Volvo B20) is equipped with Weber 32/36 carburetor.
me_1.jpg

I disassembled it, cleaned with ultrasound cleaner, but at the moment of assembly I realised that some of the smaller parts looks the same, but are marked with different numbers. They also has different diameter bores. Damn.
So, first, there are these two parts, air corrector jets, marked with 160 and 185. 185 has bigger bore than 160.
me_2.jpg

I can determine their location from this picture before cleaning using the angles they're screwed in.
me_3.jpg

160 is for the primary channel (left in picture) and 185 is for the secondary channel. Primary intake channel is a bit smaller in diameter than secondary and smaller intake channel having smaller air corrector jet seems logical.
But then there are these parts, main jets, they come in the bottom of the float chamber of the carburetor. They're marked 150 and 155. Using the same logic, should the bigger number (with bigger bore) should be used for the bigger intake channel (secondary)?
me_4.jpg

Same question about the idling jets - there are two of them with numbers 50 and 55. Should they be used according to same logic - smaller jet for smaller intake channel (primary)?
me_5.jpg

I'm sorry if my questions sounds dumb, but I'm still learning. :)

Not dumb questions...your logic seem reasonable but that isn't always how things go with carbs...

two suggestions - locate the volvo service data and see if they give the specifics of which goes where. The other option is to get the full carb number and contact Weber to see how it left their production line...

Thanks!
I got a simple and clear answer on FB Weber carburetor group:
"Air Jets, smaller in primary side
Main Jets, smaller in primary side
Idle Jets, larger in primary side
Emulsion tubes, the ones with the most holes primary side"

At the moment I have disassembled the engine completely and cleaned most of it from the oil and water emulsion. Smaller parts like pumps and pistons are already back in one piece. The engine block is repainted bright red for more horsepower (haha) and I hope to start putting it back together this weekend. :)

me_6.jpg

I don't post in this forum anymore as I sold the boat, just a word of advice. Try and find new O-rings for the cooling system if you can, to include the cooling tubes and the oil cooler as well. It can be one of the most frustrating parts of this engine. Same with exhaust manifold. Curious if you plan on honing the cylinders and installing oversized rings? There are still parts available on Ebay but are getting harder to find. Good luck to you, I loved the boat and the engine, but the guy that designed it was either a genius or a complete lunatic.

Yes, definitely, every single rubber part in the engine will be replaced. And I have already bought most of them. Imperial size oil seals for water pump and trim control pump are harder to find here, but no problem to order them online.
There are noticable wear of cylinders, but too bad honing is out of my budget right now. I'm focusing on getting engine to work so I could have some boating experience and fun with kids this summer already. There are other things I have to spend money on - powedercoating metal parts that are in contact with water, fixing worst parts of the interior, getting boat registered and so on. But getting engine to work is my next biggest milestone.

Getting the engine in and running should be the first priority, or your boat is not going anywhere unless you budgeted for a new engine. Don't ask me how I know.

Back