Logo

shift rod direction, 1997 115 hp

Scobar

The shift rod has a slight offset and will point towards the bow or stern when installing into the upper 1/2 of the motor, which is the correct direction?
With replacing the impeller I must have turned it some.

1997 Johnson 115 V4

Thanks
Scott

You need to be sure you have it at the EXACT height. Check your manual. It is measured to 1/32 of an inch, so it is critical that it is correct for proper shifting.

If you already have the lower unit bolted up I would connect the linkage and see if it is shifting properly. You need to remove the LU in order to measure the height of the shift rod. Jay is correct...pointing forward.

Correct information must be posted.----Reason is , that there are 2 different 115 HP models in 1997.----Post the model #

Racer.... looking at diagrams on this site it appears one model's shift rod has an offset and the other type appears to be without offset

If it only turned 45 degrees and you put the bend facing forward you will be golden. If it had turned 180 degrees then there would be a 50% chance it would be off the distance of one thread which could put it out of proper adjustment.

thanks, I think its good to go, but I will measure to double ck, just not sure on how to measure, I assume from the top of the shift rod and along side it, but where do you stop, at the base, then take the rubber washer off to get to a solid point?

Back