Logo

Use Regular Battery Cables in BF200 / BF225

baywrangler

After having some electrical issues, I found some corrosion on and in the original battery cable from 2007. The part is backordered and I'd like to hit the water without having to jump the starter every time we need to get moving.

So I'm thinking of just buying some tinned battery cable and crimping in the Honda-specific wires into the end lugs. Has anyone had success doing this?

It seems like a 10-12 ft cable and, in doing the sizing for a 90 amp starter at http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/ results in a 6 AWG. That seems a little thin as I was trying to decide between 4 or 2 AWG for the starter and ground cables. Perhaps an 8 AWG for the little hot wire that's in the OEM cable as well? I can't tell where that one terminates on the motor. Thought is was for the alternator, but I traced that hot to a jumper from the 150 amp main fuse...

Thanks for your input, been without it for a couple weeks now and am going slightly crazy.

I used some 6ga welding cable for a Honda 90 that works really well. Not too big and bulky, and has really fine strands so it's nice and flexible.

What I'm wondering is, if your current wires have some corrosion, usually it's at the end. Why not just cut the end off and replace it?

Thanks Alan-

Glad to hear this worked. Was this the positive that you replaced and did you have a Honda cable with some plugs coming out of it or was the original just a straight cable with a lug on each side?

My larger (starter) hot feels crunchy about one foot from the lug on the motor. The smaller hot, which I'll eventually trace to a point on the motor, has green corrosion in the bilge area about halfway through the cable. I wish the corrosion were at the ends.

-Matt

I didn't replace them due to an issue. I was rigging a used motor and the existing cables were a couple feet to short. So I made a set!

Learning quickly here. The 6 AWG came from a miscalculation. Updated to round-trip and it's saying 2 AWG when using 90 amps @ 18 ft. I used 90 for the amps based on the starter.

In your experience, is that the way to size it, or should I focus on continuous load of roughly 60 amps?

I have realized that this setup has been customized in the past as the smaller hot looks like it initially went from the battery to the starter lug, but now there's a cable running from the main fuse to the starter post. Trying to clean up all kinds of shenanigans around here.

Back