Logo

Yamaha 50hp four stroke tilt trim motor problem

big daddy

Hi,

my electric tilt trim motor stopped working properly and I found it had water in it. after cleaning it out. getting new seal it wouldnt spin at all.

I have bought an aftermarket one to replace mine. Does anyone know if the aftermarket ones are as powerful as the original ones? originals ones are 917$ where aftermarket is 200.

Also any ideas why it would stop working? the brushes are fine and clean. power gets through them. there is no breaks in the wires in the core. the metal is rust free. the magnets are still magnetic etc etc.

Thanks for your help.

a good friend with a yammy 4 cyl four stroke 50 hp had the same prob. his trim motor had a hole rotted in it. after market was $300.00 and has no complaints with the trim. he got the yammy on a 18' carolina skiff for cheap because of a broke off pick up tube in the gas tank.

my motor is 1999 late oct or november first sold in 2000. has done about 300hours total. will try the aftermarket one when it gets here then.

Received the new tilt trim motor today. Installed it tonight and it finally works. first thing. the aftermarked ones need the 2 spacer washers as oem hex head screws are too long without them. The motor worked fine but I had an air lock. ended up having to put more oil in the bottom bung and push the air out the top one. The motor is as fast as old one in lifting and lowering the outboard. I will have to wait to see how it actually goes in the water.

Cheers

to start with I poured some in to the pump where there was some when I took motor off. it didnt work. checked the level there was some there. In the end I had to pump it up through the bottom bung while the top one was cracked open. it expelled the air and then I tightened the top screw and replaced the bottom bung bolt and all was good.

Back