Logo

Mercury Force

haventaclue

Outstanding Contributor
Hi I know this is a daft question,What is a difference between the Chrysler Force and Mercury Force? I do know that Mercury bought out Chrysler and continued to produce Force and used a mixture of Chrysler and Merc parts. The real question is,where do I go for parts,Mercury? Will Mercury parts,older ones,fit? It's 120HP OE 276428, 1997? I think I upset my buddy as I expressed my opinion on Force motors,being a Merc fan myself:D I'm getting to play with it in spring when he wants it "serviced" HELP:eek:

Last edited:
Merc bought Force in the early 90's Quit making them in 98/99
Started using Merc parts on them in 91/92/93.Any Mercury dealer will have any parts you need.
This site sells parts and boats.net will have a lot cheaper stuff.Mercury parts too.
Force has been around for a long time and I think they are good equipment.Jerry

Thank you for the quick reply,it's very much appreciated as always. I would get parts here but Andrew doesn't ship international,except manuals.My buddy expects to get 50mph on a 18' rib and I am going to be very red faced if he runs my poor old Merc into the sand.:eek:
Thank you again and I must keep in mind the old saying "One man's junk is another's man's treasure":D And I hope he gets many years out of the boat and engine.

A lot of Chrysler Force parts can be retrofitted onto Mercury Force. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. The two distinct weakness I have found in Mercury Force are the reed valves and the trim fluid. Chrysler reed blocks have metal leafs and do not lead to powerhead burnout like the merc variety. The merc factory trim fluid is usually ATF which is not suited for the operating pressures and leads to premature seal failure. If you ever rebuild the trim go ahead and use hydraulic oil. The mercs use a regulator and the chryslers use a rectifier. The rectifier never breaks and your battery always gets charged. But a regulator protects your electronics from damaging spikes and gives you another year or two of battery life. Chrysler is a less peppy engine due to a less peppy intake valve but does not self-destruct like a merc. Chrysler also has a solid driveshaft that makes impeller service a bit more difficult while mercs have a split driveshaft. The chrysler impeller is also smaller and more easily damaged. Mercury used a self destructing stator for a few years but the problem has since been corrected. Chrysler mounting brackets are nicer but have serious problems with salt water. The chrysler anode is also smaller and located behind propeller. If you neglect the single small anode the chrysler force engines react badly to salt water. Its not a bad idea to slap a bunch of zinc all over a salt water engine.

In general, you can figure out which parts are interchangeable by closely examining part numbers during the transition years.

Thank you for the replies.The information is appreciated,as always.Looks like I'm going to be doing some surfing the net for awhile
I mean,I would buy parts here on this site.The HERE is Ireland, but I really must update my profile,I've been bulls£$%%ing around this site for a while,just a little lazy I guess.
I'll be adding zinc then and I may even throw a few extra bits on my beautiful Merc800,as I use it in salt water as well.
We took the RIB out today,turns out the RIB is 16',center consul,two seater,goes like a bat out of hell.It's peeing fine,sounds good,no tach to check the RPM's,could you tell me the max-min RPM's? I was guessing around 4800-5600?
There's no plate to tell the max HP for the RIB,I was thinking a 120 HP might be a little heavy for it?

Back