Logo

95 sea ray 175 seems to have no go in the water

ryanhawks

New member
Have a 95 sea ray 175 just won't go in water in runs great on a hose but won't go in water I've replaced the carburetor,fuel filter,cap,rotor,plugs,wires,fresh,fuel an still got no go someone please help me
 
I'm assuming 3L engine? 3L engines of that era were available with conventional, Delco EST & I believe Mercruiser digital ignition. Which do you have? Serial number of ENGINE, not of transom plate or outdrive.

You mention CAP & ROTOR but not points & condenser so I assume Delco EST. Are you getting spark advance? Is the shift interruptor circuit activated when it should not be?
 
I'm assuming 3L engine? 3L engines of that era were available with conventional, Delco EST & I believe Mercruiser digital ignition. Which do you have? Serial number of ENGINE, not of transom plate or outdrive.

You mention CAP & ROTOR but not points & condenser so I assume Delco EST. Are you getting spark advance? Is the shift interruptor circuit activated when it should not be?
I've unplugged the wire an it did not change it runs smooth an strong out of the water but just don't want to get up an go in the water
 
What it does in neutral is of no value to determine what it does under a load.

You say; "it won't go in the water". I assume you are saying it is lacking power/engine won't accelerate normally to move the boat. Is this correct? YES/NO?
Or are you saying the engine revs up but the boat stays slow?

Being a 4 cylinder I'd think is it obvious if you had a misfire on 1 cylinder but I'm not there.
*Is the engine firing on all 4 cylinders? YES/NO?
*As I asked in my last post;
**Are you getting spark advance? YES/NO? Put a timing light on it in the lake as it struggles
**Is the shift interruptor circuit activated when it shouldn't be? YES/NO?

"I've unplugged the wire an it did not change".... What wire? On the interruptor switch? Is that switch normally (as in when not depressed) open or normally closed? If you have a binding or maladjusted lower shift cable, the switch will become depressed when shifted into gear which it should NOT be.
 
Start with some basics do a compression test first, verify timing, what do spark,plugs look like? Is this a new to you boat or did it run correctly at one point?
 
Replace the coil if it just boggs when you add power but the RPM still match the forward motion. If it builds RPMs and moves slow in the water could be engine coupler. If it won’t move at all in water could not be shifting into gear.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top