Logo

Convert BFP60 to BF60?

Artcha

Contributing Member
Hi,
I have a 2018 BFP60 that I clipped a reef on and need a new lower unit, I would like to change it to a bf60 if possible. My understanding is the bfp60 is just a 60 with a bf75 lower unit on it or are there upper fairing differences or other things to consider?

For context I bought the bfp version as our trawler is a single engine and was hoping to use the rib tender to push it as an emergency backup, after testing the bfp is almost overkill so would like the minor weight savings and better top end performance of the BF model if possible.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I don't know about the swap, but I would think that a used BF75 lower in good condition (FYI, same/identical as the BF90), would be easier to find than the lower for a BF60 - IF - your motor is actually using a BF75/90 lower.

Bottom line, I'd fix or replace what you have in the name of simplicity (KISS!). That's me though, FWIW.

Hi,
I have a 2018 BFP60 that I clipped a reef on and need a new lower unit, I would like to change it to a bf60 if possible. My understanding is the bfp60 is just a 60 with a bf75 lower unit on it or are there upper fairing differences or other things to consider?

For context I bought the bfp version as our trawler is a single engine and was hoping to use the rib tender to push it as an emergency backup, after testing the bfp is almost overkill so would like the minor weight savings and better top end performance of the BF model if possible.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Whatever became of your conversion I also own a 2016 BFP 60 that I wish was a BF 60

I unfortunately never got an answer on this including. Asking two dealerships. Is it really as simple as a new lower unit?

Ugg, I wish I had talked to you before I replaced mine (clipped a rock). Both dealships I talked to said they thought it was a different ECU config and lower cowling, well known big shops too.

I've converted a few, power thrust is not well suited to a 60, not really enough hp to swing the bigger prop, in fact to be blunt, the power thrust not as versatile as the standard gear case

I wonder if it’s also to blame for my rough idle when in gear…. Looks like I’ll be looking for a BF60 lower unit…

do you happen to know the right part number for a 2018 BF60 lower unit to do the swap? Curious what years bf60 lower unit will work incase I can find a cheaper reconditioned one. Any other parts I will need (other than a new prop)?

All the 60 gearcases are the same. You just need to ensure you get for the correct length ie 20" or 25".This has nothing to do with rough idle. The rough idle can be improved by setting your intake valves to 010" instead of the specified 008" clearance

All the 60 gearcases are the same. You just need to ensure you get for the correct length ie 20" or 25".This has nothing to do with rough idle. The rough idle can be improved by setting your intake valves to 010" instead of the specified 008" clearance
Oh interesting, the issue I’m having is the motor idles perfectly in neutral, in gear it’s rough, so much so it makes trolling from the boat irritating. When I increase the throttle a bit it gets smooth again. Does this sound like the increase in valve spacing would help?

No, that's caused by the power thrust prop, in my opinion they are too big and heavy for the 60. They are not designed for your application. So my previous comment was wrong, thought you were referring to rough idle.

Back