Hi there ,
I hope that someone here, with more knowledge and experience than me , can help me , please.
I have been chasing this problem for over a year , so any ideas how to solve it are very much appreciated .
I have a Silverton 1987 with a pair of crusaders 270 350 8 cylinder engines.
Starboard engine started to cut off after 20 minutes of running ,after a minute will start no problem , but will run only for a minute before quitting again.
Before dying rps will start to drop down for 5 seconds or so, is not like a switch cut off .
After isolating the problem to electrical ,there is fuel on carb after cut off ,and test light at spark plug confirms that spark cuts off and misses sparks before dying completlly.
I replaced :
-Distributor cap
-Ignition Coil , Petronix flamethrower 1.5 ohm, oil filled
- Electronic Ignition, Igniter 1 Petronix ( for mallory 25/26 distributor)
-switch carbs with port engine ( both rebuilted recentlly), just in case .
Same results after this changes , spark cuts off after 20 minutes or so
Then
-Tested negative on petronix base plate at ditributor, same resistance from battery to base plate , as negative on battery to negative pole at engine
-Tested positive coming to coil , 12.8 volts
- just in case I replace the ignition switch , also running a new wire from ignition to coil to eliminate any resistance on positive after runing for the 20 minutes
Same results after this was done
Then
-I realized that the alternator was putting out 16 volts , way too much , so I replaced the alternator , now doing 14.3 v, prior messurements where done with the ignition switch on , not with engine running , my bad .
-Reconected the ballast resitor that I had disconected a while back , so now I have 12.2 volts on positive terminal at coil
-Petronix module still at 14.3 , petronix says is ok.
Still cutting off spark after 20 minutes of running
If I go now and start the engine it will start without any problem and run for 20 minutes
Any ideas ?
Thanks so much in advance
Wil
I hope that someone here, with more knowledge and experience than me , can help me , please.
I have been chasing this problem for over a year , so any ideas how to solve it are very much appreciated .
I have a Silverton 1987 with a pair of crusaders 270 350 8 cylinder engines.
Starboard engine started to cut off after 20 minutes of running ,after a minute will start no problem , but will run only for a minute before quitting again.
Before dying rps will start to drop down for 5 seconds or so, is not like a switch cut off .
After isolating the problem to electrical ,there is fuel on carb after cut off ,and test light at spark plug confirms that spark cuts off and misses sparks before dying completlly.
I replaced :
-Distributor cap
-Ignition Coil , Petronix flamethrower 1.5 ohm, oil filled
- Electronic Ignition, Igniter 1 Petronix ( for mallory 25/26 distributor)
-switch carbs with port engine ( both rebuilted recentlly), just in case .
Same results after this changes , spark cuts off after 20 minutes or so
Then
-Tested negative on petronix base plate at ditributor, same resistance from battery to base plate , as negative on battery to negative pole at engine
-Tested positive coming to coil , 12.8 volts
- just in case I replace the ignition switch , also running a new wire from ignition to coil to eliminate any resistance on positive after runing for the 20 minutes
Same results after this was done
Then
-I realized that the alternator was putting out 16 volts , way too much , so I replaced the alternator , now doing 14.3 v, prior messurements where done with the ignition switch on , not with engine running , my bad .
-Reconected the ballast resitor that I had disconected a while back , so now I have 12.2 volts on positive terminal at coil
-Petronix module still at 14.3 , petronix says is ok.
Still cutting off spark after 20 minutes of running
If I go now and start the engine it will start without any problem and run for 20 minutes
Any ideas ?
Thanks so much in advance
Wil
Last edited:

