Dav Yag
New member
I have a boat that I'm trying to get the engines running on. I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps need to be replaced, but I'm having trouble identifying the right part to order, as I'm not 100% sure of the engine type and each engine actually has a different fuel pump currently installed. I also want to make sure I'm installing properly for safety, but I am a novice.
Q: Why do I think it's the mechanical fuel pumps?
A: Neither engine has run regularly in years, and won't turn over now. And I found I can get running if I bypass the fuel filter and pump lines, with a portable tank directly into the carb on the starboard side. On the port side I just poured some gas directly into the carb and it kicked in for a sec.
Q: What do I know about the engines?
A: They have OMC 260 clearly labeled on each. Other markings I can find are: "GM-2", "340234", "Firing Order 18436572". The boat came with an OMC Inboards service manual. The manual covers many models, but I found one page listing V-drive models where a previous owner penciled in arrows indicating Starboard -> Model 260 #990326A and Port -> Model 260 #990330A (also numbers for Transmission OMC Part and Warner Part). I feel like that's my best Rosetta Stone discovery.
Q: What do I know about the fuel pumps?
A: The port side engine has the marking Carter 0-3000, and it has what I think is the vent for the fuel safety discharge, if I understand such things correctly. But it is not hooked up to anything(!!). The starboard side fuel pump has no marking other than 40991 on it. That one actually looks the same color blue paint as both engines, so I suspect it might have been the original. It does *not* have an outlet for rupture discharge like the other one. The port side fuel pump is colored differently in addition to having a different body style. Neither engine's flame arrestor has a connector for a fuel line discharge as far as I can tell.
I *think* what I need to do here is
1. Get a marine replacement for Carter 0-3000 for both (so more like the port side)
2. Figure out how to properly hook up that rupture/discharge outlet
I've already ordered a wrong fuel pump once, because I was confused about the engine (at the time I thought it was a Chrysler sadly). I was trying to use ChatGPT to help figure this stuff out, but I've given up on that. It happily agreed that it was a Chrysler despite giving it the "GM-2", "340234" info above. I'm hoping the smarter intelligences here can help make sure I'm on the right path....
For some reason I can't successfully add photos here, but I can add a YouTube link, so I made a slide show that depicts: the starboard engine, a few shots of the starboard fuel pump removed, and a final shot of the port fuel pump still mounted).
Q: Why do I think it's the mechanical fuel pumps?
A: Neither engine has run regularly in years, and won't turn over now. And I found I can get running if I bypass the fuel filter and pump lines, with a portable tank directly into the carb on the starboard side. On the port side I just poured some gas directly into the carb and it kicked in for a sec.
Q: What do I know about the engines?
A: They have OMC 260 clearly labeled on each. Other markings I can find are: "GM-2", "340234", "Firing Order 18436572". The boat came with an OMC Inboards service manual. The manual covers many models, but I found one page listing V-drive models where a previous owner penciled in arrows indicating Starboard -> Model 260 #990326A and Port -> Model 260 #990330A (also numbers for Transmission OMC Part and Warner Part). I feel like that's my best Rosetta Stone discovery.
Q: What do I know about the fuel pumps?
A: The port side engine has the marking Carter 0-3000, and it has what I think is the vent for the fuel safety discharge, if I understand such things correctly. But it is not hooked up to anything(!!). The starboard side fuel pump has no marking other than 40991 on it. That one actually looks the same color blue paint as both engines, so I suspect it might have been the original. It does *not* have an outlet for rupture discharge like the other one. The port side fuel pump is colored differently in addition to having a different body style. Neither engine's flame arrestor has a connector for a fuel line discharge as far as I can tell.
I *think* what I need to do here is
1. Get a marine replacement for Carter 0-3000 for both (so more like the port side)
2. Figure out how to properly hook up that rupture/discharge outlet
I've already ordered a wrong fuel pump once, because I was confused about the engine (at the time I thought it was a Chrysler sadly). I was trying to use ChatGPT to help figure this stuff out, but I've given up on that. It happily agreed that it was a Chrysler despite giving it the "GM-2", "340234" info above. I'm hoping the smarter intelligences here can help make sure I'm on the right path....
For some reason I can't successfully add photos here, but I can add a YouTube link, so I made a slide show that depicts: the starboard engine, a few shots of the starboard fuel pump removed, and a final shot of the port fuel pump still mounted).

